Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie
  Re: (...)
What am I not reading? Lemon Meringue Pie, Issue No. 68 April 2008. After following the directions for "Tangy Lemon Filling" page 50. I transferred the pie to the oven as stated in the recipe to bake for 20-25 minutes, what temperature do I bake at? What am I not reading? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Lynette
  Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by Lynette (What am I not readin...)
It is confusing, the way they have written it, isn't it? Crust is baked at 400, then removed. Reduce oven to 300. Bake filled pie at 300 for 25-30 min. Follow through with meringue, 400 for 8-12 min.

Hope this helps, and welcome!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by pjcooks (It is confusing, the...)
On a somewhat similar tangent, does anyone here have a tried-and-true recipe for lemon curd? In the States, it only seems to be available in import stores that cater to Anglophiles and British expatriates, but it is very similar to the filling for lemon meringue pie, though probably a bit thicker.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by labradors (On a somewhat simila...)
labs, here's one I've used for miniature tarts a couple of times - nice flavor. I've used lemon & lime.

Lemon Curd

4 fluid ounces Lemon juice
6 1/2 ounces Granulated sugar
2 teaspoons Lemon zest -- grated fine
2 eggs -- to 3
6 ounces Unsalted butter -- room temperature

Combine the lemon juice, 3 ounces of the sugar and the zest in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Place the eggs and remaining sugar in a non-reactive bowl. Mix well without aerating.

Temper the egg mixture with one quarter of the boiling juice. Add the remaining juice and return to the stove.

Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking vigorously. Continue mixing and boil for one minute.

Remove from the heat and chill over an ice bath until the mixture reaches 120°F (55°C).

Add the butter in five parts, stirring well with a spatula after each addition.

Use immediately to fill a pie or tart shell or chill, cover and refrigerate.

Yield: 1 lb. 4 oz.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Variations:

Lime Curd -- Substitute lime juice for the lemon juice.

Passion Fruit Curd -- Reduce the lemon juice to 1/2 fluid ounce (15 milliliters). Increase the total sugar to 8 ounces (240 grams). Increase the eggs to 10 ounces (300 grams). Procedure: Combine the lemon juice with 5 ounces (150 grams) of passion fruit purée and 4 ounces (120 grams) of the sugar. Bring to a boil. Mix the eggs with the remaining 4 ounces (120 grams) sugar. Temper with the passion fruit mixture. Beat in 8 ounces (240 grams) butter.

Orange Bergamot Curd -- Reduce the lemon juice to 3 ounces (90 milliliters). Add 3 fluid ounces (90 milliliters) orange juice concentrate. Omit the lemon zest. Increase the total sugar to 7 1/2 ounces (285 grams). Increase the eggs to 6 ounces (180 grams) and the butter to 9 ounces (270 grams). Procedure: Combine the orange juice concentrate, lemon juice and 5 ounces (150 grams) sugar. Bring to a boil and proceed as above. Add 10 drops essential oil of bergamot to the finished curd.
-----

Shoot, forgot about 'the Contessa's' - it's really good also.

Lemon Curd Lemon Curd
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

Yield: 3 cups

3 lemons
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to
avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with
the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very
finely minced into the sugar.

Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the
eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until
combined.

Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat
until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon
curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer.
Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by pjcooks (It is confusing, the...)
That is just what I did, looks yummy! Thank you for the welcome pjcooks !
  Re: Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by Lynette (That is just what I ...)
WELCOME, Lynette...please come and visit again.

Now, I don't have that issue yet (WHHHHAAAAAAA!!!!! ---I'm the whiner around here ) so I would really love to know what your opinion of that recipe is....reviews are always welcome!!

See you again,

Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by labradors (On a somewhat simila...)
Labs, this is the one I go to when a lemon curd is required--pretty GREAT!!! I use this recipe for those lovely little Lemon Cake Bites from Issue 51.

This is from JOY OF BAKING. COM by Stepanie Jaworski

3 large eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (DO NOT USE BOTTLED)
3/4 cup granulated white sugar (I use castor)
1 TBS finely shredded lemon zest
4 TBS unsalted butter, at room temp and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream or hollandaise sauce--160 degrees F). This will take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter is melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to two weeks

Makes 1 1/2 cups

If you want a lighter lemon curd whip 1/2 of heavy whipping cream and fold into the lemon curd.

VERY nice recipe for curd!! Works for me every time!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by Roxanne 21 (Labs, this is the o...)
Jean and Roxanne,

Thanks! Will give those a try. Am glad the specify the volume of lemon juice, not just the number of lemons, since the spectacular lemons we have here are larger and juicier. For example, Jean, that Barefoot Contessa recipe equates 1/2 cup lemon juice to 3 or 4 lemons, but it's not unusual for three of our lemons to yield just over a cup of juice!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Issue No. 68 April 2008 Lemon Meringue Pie by labradors (Jean and Roxanne,[br...)
and if you use meyers, you're completely screwed up quantity-wise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Here's the one I use, Labs. With great results and yummy but I have not tried it as a pie filling. Do you think it would work being baked with the meringue over it?

HOMEMADE LEMON CURD
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs grated lemon zest
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed

In a 2 quart saucepan, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, eggs, and butter. - Cook over medium-low heat until thick enough to hold marks from whisk, and first bubble appears on surface, about 6 minutes.

Can be stored in a jar for up to 2 weeks.
Shirley