Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne!
  Re: (...)
Well I did make the recipes that LJ and Daphne gave me. It was a team effort. Didn't take a photo, but it was photo-worthy.

The dish was plated with angel hair pasta in the center of the plate/bowl. I made shrimp and scallops (the Alexander recipe) and arranged them around the pasta. Then ladled sauce over the top. And this was really 'over the top'!

My dad and his wife really loved it. We had asparagus too. The only think I would say about the scallops is this: Next time I would thaw, drain and really pat dry well with paper towels. When they cooked they let out a lot of liquid and didn't crisp on the bottom like the shrimp did. My guinea pigs suggested I cook them longer, but I didn't want to overcook the scallops. Good call on my part, the scallops were sweet and tender. It didn't matter that the crispness was missing.

Another thing I would try is using Panko breadcrumbs. My store was out of Panko so I had to use regular. But next time I will try that.

Here are the recipes from the other post. The sauce is delicious and would be wonderful over steaks as Daphne suggests. I am sure it would be also good over salmon steaks.

Alexander Sauce (cream sauce with crab and shrimp)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 tbsp unsalted butter -- divided
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 tbsp flour
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup small shrimp -- uncooked
5 oz crabmeat -- white lump

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the cream and clam juice. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. In another saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the shrimp and cook about 2 minutes. Add the crabmeat and cook about 1 minute. Stir into cream mixture.

Notes: I have used just crab and just shrimp for this recipe with good results every time. I had a friend serve me a filet with a topping similar to this years ago and he would never share. Shame on him...I found it and use it for special meals. This was the family highlight of xmas Eve dinner. The whole family hopes to use it to make a steak dinner special in the future.

Shrimp Alexander from Morton's of Chicago

This does not include an Alexander Sauce so I'd use the one Daphne posted...this is for preparing the shrimp part of it!

1 pound Jumbo Shrimp (8-12 to the pound)
4oz Melted Butter
Prepared Bread Crumbs:
1 C Plain Bread Crumbs
2-3 tsp Finely Minced Shallots
2 tsp Finely Chopped Parsley
1 1/2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation:
Prepare bread crumbs by combining plain bread crumbs, shallots, parsley, and garlic. You may wish to add some salt and pepper to your liking. Preheat oven to 500F. Shell and devein shrimp, butterfly. Dip shrimp in butter (butter should be warm but not hot) then dip in bread crumb mixture.
Place on cookie sheet which has been sprayed with butter-flavoured spray. Cook 6-8 minutes and serve with Alexander Sauce however you think it should be served.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by luvnit (Well I did make the ...)
Oh my, does that ever sound wonderful! And thanks for posting the recipes also.

so you did a combination of shrimp and scallops in the second recipe?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by cjs (Oh my, does that eve...)
Yes, in my version I used both shrimp and scallops. I baked them both although for the scallops I baked them a few minutes shy of the cooking indicated. We had colossal shrimp, when butterflied the upper part was the size of my palm! They were huge and I didn't want to overcook them, but did add 1-2 minutes to the cooking time because they were huge and they turned out great.

I love scallops and would definitely do them again, but like I said, scallops release liquid and I would compensate by letting them sit in paper towels to pre-blot all that water.

It was all really great though. Perfect for pleasing a seafood and pasta lover's palate.
Laura
  Re: Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by luvnit (Yes, in my version I...)
yes, scallops always have to be dried to get a nice crust. I'll certainly be doing this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by cjs (yes, scallops always...)
YUMMMMM!!!!! I will do this one as well!

Your description is making me salivate!! PETER, COME HOME!!

I will use the Panko as you have suggested--I have some in my larder and MORE coming---

LOVE scallops---just purchased some really nice sized ones---even though the roe is on the size is the best I have seen since we have lived here.....$$$$$$
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by luvnit (Well I did make the ...)
This sounds wonderful. I'll add to my list for a special occasion.
  Re: Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by HomeCulinarian (This sounds wonderfu...)
Glad I was able to do my part to help with a memorable meal that was enjoyed by all...forgot to mention that tip about thawing and "drying" the scallops...my bad.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by firechef (Glad I was able to d...)
Well LJ... I guess I will just have to 'suffer' and make it again. Poor me!
Laura
  Re: Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by luvnit (Well LJ... I guess I...)
Shucks...life is rough all over. Hope it isn't too much of a strain on the family eating it again sometime? Hate to see people suffering with great food.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Shrimp Alexander - Thanks LJ and Daphne! by firechef (Shucks...life is rou...)
I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed it Laura!

LJ, looks like we make a good team...even miles apart...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.