Gina's Newest Fried Rice
  Re: (...)
This is so simple and so tasty and fast - you just can't beat her recipes!

Guangzhou Fried Rice

4 cups cooked cold rice
4 egg yolks -- lightly beaten
2 chinese sausages -- diced
100 g prawn meat -- diced (about 4 oz.)
100 g green mustard leaves/stalks(chye sim) -- diced
1 tsp salt dash of pepper

1. Heat up the wok with 50 ml corn oil and add diced sausages, prawns to stir fry till cooked. Dish out and set aside.

2. Add cold rice to stir fry over high fire for 3 minutes.

3. Drizzle egg yolk on it.

4. Quickly stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes till the rice is coated with yolk and is even in colour.

5. Lastly, add fried meats, vegetables, salt, pepper and stir fry till veggies are cooked.

6. Serve hot.

Notes

1. Best to use overnight cooked rice that is cold from the fridge.

2. If you are cooking for 2 persons, just use 2 cups of rice, 2 yolks.

3. You can add honey baked ham or turkey ham and other types of vegetables.

by kitchencapers on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:31 am
I decided to call it Guangzhou Fried rice because this was the dish I had on my last day in Guangzhou, China on the 22nd January 2008. I do not know if this is the right way to cook this rice. But this method works for me.

Description:
"gina posted this on C2C 3/08"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Gina's Newest Fried Rice by cjs (This is so simple an...)
This looks really great! Occasionally I make fried rice and I agree the rice needs to be 'refrigerator cold' when making. I usually make my rice barely 'al dente', rinse and put in tupperware lined with paper towels. Wait overnight or at least all day. A few drops of sesame oil tastes great too. This is great for getting rid of leftover meat and veggies in the fridge. Unfortunately, we NEVER have 'leftover shrimp', this is an oxymoron IMO. I have to just grab some from the freezer.

I will have to try this recipe. I love getting recipes from trusted sources. And while I am not a fried rice expert, I am sure someone in China has a better clue than I about fried rice perfection.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Gina's Newest Fried Rice by luvnit (This looks really gr...)
Laura, I agree - the most important part for fried rice IS using leftover rice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Gina's Newest Fried Rice by cjs (This is so simple an...)
This sounds excellent, but I don't think I've seen chinese sausages at the asian market. Do you buy it or make it yourself? Thanks!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Gina's Newest Fried Rice by Mare749 (This sounds excellen...)
Or what would be good sub???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Gina's Newest Fried Rice by Roxanne 21 (Or what would be go...)
I guess I have never heard of Chinese sausages either. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

On Wiki, they have this information:

Quote:

La Chang (臘腸Wink is a dried, hard sausage usually made from pork and a high content of fat. It is normally smoked, sweetened, and seasoned.

Ren Chang (膶腸Wink is made using duck liver. Ren Chang is not sweet in taste.

Not sure which one they are talking about, but I assume the first one.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Gina's Newest Fried Rice by luvnit (I guess I have never...)
Is this the same Gina I know??? Miss "Kitchen Capers" herself??? I love her recipes...she is a very talented Chef and very knowledgeable in many cuisines. I have learned a lot from her.

Recipe is copied and saved...she gave me the "guts" to try more Asian cuisine items in my kitchen at home. Some of that stuff can be pretty intimidating to make.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Hope so!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Gina's Newest Fried Rice by Roxanne 21 (Hope so!!! [img]/u...)
Roxanne, I use (salt) cured ham, "country ham". I usually buy the chips that are meant for seasoning. If you rinse it, it isn't terribly salty. (I forgot last night. Oops!) I also use frozen peas, but want to try the mustard greens, or some other green next time. Gina also mentions using other meats as well, such as regular sandwich style ham, turkey, any leftover meat will do...except maybe beef.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
[Image: 41SVNQTYHTL._AA280_.jpg]
They are shrink-wrapped and sometimes in the refrigerated section. The most common substitute would be Chinese barbecue pork.