April 21st Dinner for review...
  Re: (...)
Here we go everyone...due to unmentionable acts of arm twisting on the part of Roxanne we have an April birthday person stepping up to the plate with a meal to review...

Here is the entree thanks to Jean...

Pan Roasted Pork Chops with Bourbon Sauce
(Cuisine at home, June 2002, Issue 33, p. 20)

Makes: 4 Servings Total Time: 40 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Pork Chop Brine—
Dissolve in One-Gallon Resealable Freezer Bag:
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar

Add:
6 cups ice water

For the Pan Roasted Pork Chops—
Season and Flour:
4 1"-thick brined rib chops

Brown in:
2 T. olive oil

Remove Chops; Saute:
1 T. garlic, chopped
1 T. shallot, chopped

Deglaze with:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup bourbon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 t. apple cider vinegar

Add and Reduce:
2 T. heavy cream
Reserved pork chops

Dissolve salt and sugar completely, in hot water.

Add ice water to brine. This will cool the brine quickly so you can add the pork chops. Seal the bag and refridgerate for one to two hours. Just before cooking, dry chops to remove excess brine. Preheat oven to 425°.

Season chops with pepper. Dust lightly with flour.

Brown one side in olive oil over medium-high heat. Turn, cover, and roast in oven for about 10 minutes.

Remove chops to a warm platter. Saute garlic and shallot in 1 T. drippings over medium-high heat until soft.

Deglaze pan with bourbon and broth. Add sugar and vinegar; reduce by half.

Add cream and pork chops to pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side until sauce is thick. Makes 1 cup sauce.

Nutrition Information (Per serving):
442 calories 39% calories from fat 19g total fat 22g carb. 645mg sodium

For a side I would like to see everyone make asparagus in any way they think it would go good with this. Spring in Iowa is pork and asparagus and mushrooms so I am going to do something with a side of mushrooms and asparagus. Lets see how many ways we can all come up with to incorporate asparagus into this meal. Be creative!

As we all know I am having a spice cake for my birthday so I encourage all to be creative and make their take on a spice cake. I am using the recipe Billy posted and running with that.

Hope this works for everyone?

Thanks Daphne, Jean and Roxanne!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by firechef (Here we go everyone....)
Sounds like a real winner !! and the dinner review date will be April 21st????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by cjs (Sounds like a real w...)
Thats what YOU said...I am leaning towards the 28th but will end up doing it the 12th or 13th myself.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by firechef (Thats what YOU said....)
If no objections, the 21st will allow the May Birthdays (3 of them) to get in also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by cjs (If no objections, th...)
Sounds great, but I have neither bourbon nor cider vinegar, and can't afford to get it right now just to be able to make this meal, so I'll be sitting out, this time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by labradors (Sounds great, but I ...)
This is on our plate, LJ!!!! I will also do this on the 12th or 13th!!!

Good choice----I purchased a whole side of pork chops today so this will be perfect once I slice it to the requirements-----Peter LOVES pork so I'm hoping this will be something he will devour (I know that he will!!! )
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by Roxanne 21 (This is on our plate...)
Could we use Brandy instead of Bourbon? Cuz we already have that. Btw, it's a non flavored brandy. So whaddya think will it work???
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by farnfam (Could we use Brandy ...)
Geesh...the other recipe I had narrowed it down to had a Brandy Cream Sauce...go figure.

I would think it would. You could almost make it like an au Poivre type pork. Don't know if it would blend with the rest of the seasonings but can not come up with a good reason not to try it with the Brandy.
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by firechef (Geesh...the other re...)
Well, LJ, I was just thinking, we've really got plenty of time to go buy some Bourbon. But I'm not sure if we'll like it, so maybe I'll just use what I have. What's Bourbon like, is it like say Southern Comfort??
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: April 21st Dinner for review... by farnfam (Well, LJ, I was just...)
I normally sub Cognac for Bourbon of all things. I don't drink the "strong" stuff so I can't comment on the taste. Funny thing is I normally sub Cognac for Brandy as well. That tell you anything?