Cedar Wrapped Salmon
  Re: (...)
When I was in Va, and he was putting his order in online, I saw these things and said, "Buy then"!!! For those of you who have done cedar planked salmon, think of ther cedar plank. Now put it through a microplane or mandoline. These things were 6 x 6, very, very thin. When soaked in water, they become very pliabe. So you can wrap the fish in it. I didn't have chives or even green onions to tie them up with, so I soaked some butcher twine. Not a real pretty presentation, but it did the job.

I let lthem sit in a bit of soya soya sauce and ginger. I oiled the grill. Marked the fish on both sides. Then wrapped them and tied them. I cooked them a futher 67 minutes, which was probably 3 minutes too long. But, they still tasted great.

I also had some new bamboo skewers. About 4 in long, and flat, kind of looked like a sword. So, I did some scallops on the grill. All in all, a great dinner.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Cedar Wrapped Salmon by Lorraine (When I was in Va, an...)
That sounds really really good. Are they available to the home cook or just chefs'???

I can remember, back in THE day, before they told us it would make us sick (it never did), we used to grill salmon over redwood fires. Man o' man that was good. I keep thinking I'm going to buy some cedar planks and just keep forgetting.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cedar Wrapped Salmon by Harborwitch (That sounds really r...)
Sharon that is still true. We had a case here last summer of a family that got really sick and the child died using treated wood. I always tell folks do not buy your cedar thru places like home depot or lowes as they have been treated with chemicals to repell moisture and insects.

You have to buy wood that has not been treated with anything.

I've gotten cedar wraps thru Amazon and Williams Sonoma. They're about $15 for like 10-12 of them. I've wrapped chicken breasts in them, but salmon is the best. The only down side is, they're not really re-usable.
  Re: Re: Cedar Wrapped Salmon by DFen911 (Sharon that is still...)
So THAT's how to keep the moths away from the salmon!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cedar Wrapped Salmon by labradors (So THAT's how to kee...)
What a cool idea! I have not gotten planks yet either. I hope to have some by the time summer gets here though! Geez! Thats not far away! Thank goodness!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
We just used redwood that we cut ourselves - like out in the woods up a river from where the salmon was caught - nothing artificial. That doesn't sound right - redwood that we found downed in the woods - nothing treated from the hardware store.
  Re: Re: Cedar Wrapped Salmon by Harborwitch (We just used redwood...)
Lorraine very nicely sent me some of these to play with - if it ever stops raining, I'm really looking forward to trying them. If it doesn't stop, I'll have to go the oven route!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cedar Wrapped Salmon by cjs (Lorraine very nicely...)
He got his through one of the suppliers. I should have snaffled a few more!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cedar Wrapped Salmon by Lorraine (He got his through o...)
I have seen them at Bed, Bath and Beyond before too. I do not know if they are any good but I have seen them there.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Thanks, I'll have to check them out. Sounds like a fun thing to play with.