Cracking pizza stones??
  Re: (...)
Ok so I have these two round pizza stones. I have made maybe 10 pizza's total on them.

I don't leave them in the oven, when I turn the oven off I allow them to cool down naturally in the oven.

My pizza's are cooked at 500 degrees. My dough makes enough for 4 pizza's. Well tonight both of them cracked in half when I was making the second 2 pizza's.

Has anyone had this happen? Where do you all get your stones from? I got these 2 from Bed Bath and Beyond and I don't think they were slated for the high temps I cook at. I am trying to replicate the really hot fire ovens of Italy. My recipe is spot on so don't want to have to reduce the heat if I don't have to.
  Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by DFen911 (Ok so I have these t...)
I'd recommend asking your favourite brick oven place where they'd recommend getting your replacements. I would agree that the BB&B stones where not designed for the high temps of tradition...so sorry for your loss.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by DFen911 (Ok so I have these t...)
Wow Denise, I do the exact same thing. I even preheat the stones at 500 degree before I put the pizza on it. Never had it crack. My stone is a large rectangle that I purchased from Pampered Chef, go figure. Maybe there was a flaw in the stones.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by luvnit (Wow Denise, I do the...)
That's a bummer! I would think any stone advertised to be a pizza stone (even from BB&B) would be able to take the high temps.

I used to have a stone, but since I've been grilling them 90% of the time, it's gone by the wayside. And, when I have to use the oven, I just use one of the screens on the lowest rack. (But, maybe if I'd worked with Wolfgang, I might be more of an aficionado like some cooks we know and love... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by cjs (That's a bummer! I w...)
The thing that usually causes such things to crack is a sudden change or difference in temperature. Perhaps the second set of pizzas you tried to cook were too cold, relative to the stones. Either way, it's a sad thing to hear.

A friend has given me some advice on the right materials to seek, and one of these days, when I have the extra time and funds, I'll be getting something from one of the local tile stores - presuming I can find the right materials.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by labradors (The thing that usual...)
Even "cracking" the oven door would drop the temp of the oven by about 75 degrees. The higher the temperature you are working with the more drastic that 75 degrees is.

Good point...didn't think about the temperature change in the "rounds" of pizza being made.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by firechef (Even "cracking" the ...)
It has to be a given though that you're gonna be putting dough that is cooler than they are on them. Just a bummer to lose both my stones. But what's cool is I get to get new ones and now know to ask some very important questions first.

Also this Saturday I get to go to Penzy's Spices. Woot! I told hubby make sure the saddle bags on the motorcycle are empty cause I'm fillin em up!
  Re: Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by DFen911 (It has to be a given...)
We have one of those in West Des Moines...what is a Penzy's Spices like? It is in the same parking lot as Babies R Us so I am there monthly and never stopped in. It is across the street from where we are going for my birthday dine out...so maybe I can get in there since it is "my day" on Saturday night.
  Re: Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by firechef (We have one of those...)
I don't know I"ve never been to one before. I've always ordered online and love their products. I'm so excited
  Re: Re: Cracking pizza stones?? by DFen911 (I don't know I"ve ne...)
Well I guess I will have to do the same and then we'll have to compare notes. I am sure a SoCal location will have more than an Iowa location...or at least be bigger and better.