Dinner - Tuesday 4/8?
  Re: (...)
For us it will be leftover potato salad with (hopefully) grilled chicken thighs - if not, I may look thru some old C@H and see what I haven't made.

By the way, we sure enjoyed the smokey flavor the chipoltes gave the p. salad last night. Got to start thinking of the next dinner review also...

What's everyone else up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by cjs (For us it will be le...)
Either leftover meatballs or Vietnamese Eggrolls (recipe from LJ)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by luvnit (Either leftover meat...)
It's the start of banquet season here. Tonight's banquet is for the Farm Leader of the Year Award winner. Hubby's the MC. I predict a chicken entrée.
  Re: Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by HomeCulinarian (It's the start of ba...)
Defrosted a duck and planning to roast it tonite. Haven't decided on the sides yet tho'
Any duck roasting hints will be much appreciated as I've never done it before.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by farnfam (Defrosted a duck and...)
Dear Empress for Life, Heya

I'm going to finish Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs and have it with rice for supper tonight and a green salad with pignola and dried cranberries. Buddy will more than likely have the same.
OT
I have an appointment with a new vet for Buddy at 4:00 PM. They are going to give him a complete physical and blood tests and tell me he's overweight. Plus other things I hope.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by bjcotton (Dear Empress for Lif...)
here's one (or two) idea(s) for the empress - they are both really good!

Beer Braised Duck

Recipe: (Gina)kitchecapers - 12/06

Ingredients
2 cans Stout Beer(I used Guiness Extra Stout)
half a duck(discard head, neck, web feet)
1 inch of young ginger(sliced thinly)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorn(grounded)
1 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste

Method
1. Wash and clean duck and rub the duck with salt and Szechwan pepper

2. Fill a deep casserole with Stout and add duck in to marinate for at least 4 hours.

3. Heat up wok with oil and add ginger to fry till fragrant.

4. Add duck, skin down and fry till the skin is slightly cooked(about 2 mins over medium heat).

5. Add rest of stout liquid to boil for 5 mins.

6. Pour the contents into a slow cooker and let it simmer for 2 hours over low heat.

7. Remove duck from the slow cooker to cool before slicing.

8. Drizzle sauce over it.

-----

CRISP ROAST DUCK

1 Long Island duck (also known as Pekin) -- (5- to 6-lb)
2 cups boiling-hot water
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.

If necessary, cut off wing tips with poultry shears or a sharp knife. Remove and discard excess fat from body cavity and neck, then rinse duck inside and out. Prick skin all over with a sharp fork. Fold neck skin under body, then put duck, breast side up, on a rack in a 13- by 9- by 3-inch roasting pan and pour boiling-hot water over duck (to tighten skin).

Cool duck, then pour out any water from cavity into pan. Pat duck dry inside and out, reserving water in pan, then rub duck inside and out with kosher salt and pepper.

Roast duck, breast side up, 45 minutes, then remove from oven. Turn duck over using 2 wooden spoons, and roast 45 minutes more. Turn duck over again (breast side up), tilting duck to drain any liquid from cavity into pan. Continue to roast duck until skin is brown and crisp, about 45 minutes more (total roasting time: about 2 1/4 hours).

Tilt duck to drain any more liquid from cavity into pan. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Discard liquid in roasting pan. 4 servings
Gourmet, September 2006

------
And for your leftovers, you can’t do better than this, unless it’s duck pizza…

DUCK SALAD WITH CHEESE TOASTS AND PORT-CURRANT SAUCE

2 6- to 7-ounce boneless duck breast halves
8 1 1/2x1-inch slices Pont l'Evêque cheese or Brie (about 3 ounces)
8 1 1/2x1-inch pieces good-quality fruit-and-nut bread (such as walnut-raisin), toasted
3 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
6 cups mixed baby greens
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
Port-Currant Sauce

Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle duck breast halves with salt and pepper. Add duck, skin side down, to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for medium. Remove duck from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place 1 cheese slice on each toasted bread piece. Whisk oil and vinegar in large bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Add greens; toss to coat. Divide greens among 4 plates. Place 2 cheese toasts in center of greens on each. Sprinkle walnuts on top. Thinly slice duck breasts crosswise; divide equally among salads, fanning slightly. Drizzle warm Port-Currant Sauce around salads and serve.

Makes 4 (appetizer) servings.

Bon Appétit
September 2000
Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, IL

Makes about 3/4 cup.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cored, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 750-ml bottle of ruby Port
1 cup chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1/3 cup dried currants

Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, apple and garlic; sauté until onion is tender and golden, about 12 minutes. Add Port; reduce heat to medium. Simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 30 minutes. Strain mixture; return liquid to saucepan. Discard solids in strainer. Add stock to saucepan; simmer until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir in currants. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm over low heat.)

Description:
"If you are not able to find Pont l'Evêque cheese, either Taleggio or Brie would also work well in this lovely starter from Charlie Trotter's in Chicago."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by cjs (For us it will be le...)
I think we are having southwest grilled boneless chicken thighs, either caribbean or island black beans, and sauted spinach. If it was warmer I'd have black bean and corn salad, but it is a rany, cold day today.

Wish I had some mango or pineapple to make a salsa - oh well.

That reminds me i need to make those coconut pork cutlets again with the black beans. That was pretty good. I need a little sunshine - even if it is only in my food!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by esgunn (I think we are havin...)
Well darnit anyway. My eggrolls keep getting bumped for some reason. Now someone brought my hubby some fresh fish today. I guess that's okay, it's still kinda cold in the garage for cooking. Although my neighbor was going to come over for 'tinis' tonight.

Well, it may be fish and martinis for dinner who knows. It's a Tuesday and I usually watch American Idol and get to bed early. Let's hope that still happens.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by luvnit (Well darnit anyway. ...)
OOOooo, yum Jean, that appy from the leftovers is making hope for leftovers!!! Thanks for the hint, I was wondering what was the best way to deal with all that neck skin.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner - Tuesday 4/8? by farnfam (OOOooo, yum Jean, th...)
Laura, I wish someone would give my hubby some fresh fish!!! Trout season is open but it's way too cold still. The fish would be like "drown worms if you want, we're not coming up"
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life