Grilling Pizza
  Re: (...)
I remember a while back C@H did an article on grilled pizzas. I must have skimmed by that one because I don't remember if they had any great tips.

On another thread someone (I think Jean and Sharon) mentioned using a pizza screen. Okay, I have never heard of a pizza screen. Are these JUST for the grill? Does it give the 'raw' pizza stability early in the grilling process? Do you then remove the screen at some point?

I have never used anything when I grill, I just prebake the crust so it's partially cooked and firm. Top it with toppings and place the pizza directly on the grill.

I would assume if I used a pizza screen I could stop prebaking the crust.

Does anyone remember the issue I am talking about? How do you all grill your pizzas?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Grilling Pizza by luvnit (I remember a while b...)
Laura, I don't have any of the back issues, but I don't prebake my crust. There was a great thread awhile back with lots of great input, I'll see if I can find it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Grilling Pizza by Lorraine (Laura, I don't have ...)
Grilled Pizza

Here it is! I make individual ones, I find them easier to work with.
  Re: Re: Grilling Pizza by Lorraine ( [url=http://www.for...)
Hey thanks Lorraine!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Grilling Pizza by luvnit (Hey thanks Lorraine!...)
If it doesn't rain on the weekend, pizza is on the menu! I like taking the leftover for lunches.
  Re: Grilling Pizza by luvnit (I remember a while b...)
We use a thing we picked up at WalMart, it's kinda like a metal grid with holes in it. It's good for objects that would normally fall thru the grill. We've got one for veggies, one for fish and one for pizza. It's a rectangle tho' so that means our pizzas for the grill are not round. But you don't have to pre-bake. According to the directions from C@H, we put the flattened dough on the grid thing (we spray with non-stick stuff first) and grill a few minutes, turn it over, put on your topping (on the already grilled side) and grill a few more minutes till done. Others will be here to give much better hints and directions, but that's basically what we do.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Grilling Pizza by farnfam (We use a thing we pi...)
As far as the screen goes, I push/roll out my dough and lay it on the oiled screen, stretching it a little fit. For a while, I would turn screen side up on the grill (after rubbing the dough top with oil) and remove the screen.

(Also, I usually get the dough ready in the mid-afternoon, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until I'm ready to put the pizza together.)

But a while back, I just laid the screen on the grill and let it do it's first side, took it off, turned the dough over so cooked side is up, layered my goodies and put screen and all back on the grill. works great. I think the screen I use is called a pizza screen, but don't know for sure.

love grilled pizza...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilling Pizza by cjs (As far as the screen...)
The screens, if they are what I am thinking they are, are multi-use item...you can also take a tortilla and spread some ranch dressing, mozzarella cheese and diced tomatoes and some pepperoni or Italian sausage if you like or some mushrooms or scallions and put it in the oven on the screen until all melts and the tortilla is cooked and you have a great light weight snack or lunch...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)