Ricotta Gnocchi
  Re: (...)
What a wonderful gnocchi this made. Letting the ricotta drain overnight takes time, but no hands on, so these are really easy and fast to make up. And so light and delicous. with just a little sage infused butter and sprinkled with Parmesan. The truffle flavor really came thru - don't know where I would have found 'truffle flour' but adding truffle salt to the flour worked great.

Swan Creek Ricotta Gnocchi

1 lb. Whole-milk Ricotta Cheese
Kosher salt & freshly ground white pepper
1 Pinch ground nutmeg
1 T. Truffle Flour*
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour

Drain ricotta cheese overnite (at least 6 hours). Transfer the drained ricotta to a large bowl. Season with salt and white pepper to taste, nutmeg, and truffle flour; add the egg, and stir to mix.

Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour, 1/3 cup at a time. When all the flour is incorporated, form the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate for about 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. It also freezes very well for up to 1 month.

Turn out the chilled dough onto a lightly floured work surface and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Divide the dough into 6 pcs. & roll into 1" thick logs. Cut the logs into teaspoon-size chunks. Roll the chunks into balls and press one side of the balls onto the backside of a fork to form the gnocchi.

Lay the gnocchi on lightly floured b. sheets in single layers. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or clean dish towels and refrigerate until ready to cook. The gnocchi will keep for about 24 hours before cooking.

In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the gnocchi for 3-4 minutes or till they bob to the surface. Scoop them from the water with a slotted spoon or spider (do not drain thru a colander or they will break.)

*Note: for truffle flour, mix the 1 T. flour with truffle salt (about 3/4 tsp) the day before and let the flavors find each other.

Rick Tramonto, from Tru
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by cjs (What a wonderful gno...)
I have never made Gnocchi, but my grandma used to make it. Gnocchi is her favorite. I would love to make it for her someday. Do you use a paddle or fork to form them?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by luvnit (I have never made Gn...)
Jean, I used a similar recipe a while back and mine came out rather heavy, similar to the recipe that uses mashed potato. Any ideas why? They are so tasty, but would be so much better if they were lighter.

Love the addition of "truffle flour." Don't think I've seen truffle salt recently. Where do you buy it?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by Mare749 (Jean, I used a simil...)
Sounds good Jean. Think we will ever get Denise's recipe too? I love gnocchi but have trouble finding others that like it around here. I have tried it with several different sauces and ways...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by firechef (Sounds good Jean. T...)
Here is the potato gnocchi recipe I use and one of my favourite ways to serve it...

Potato Gnocchi (serves 4)

5 baking potatoes
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cups all- purpose flour

Bake the potatoes in a 350-degree F. oven for 1 hour. Peel and mash them.

In a bowl, combine the egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, and parmesan cheese.

Add the mashed potatoes.

Add the flour, a little at a time, until a dough forms and holds together. A key to gnocchi is to use just enough flour and not too much. Too much flour gives you heavier gnocchi...at least that is what I have discovered over the years.

The dough should be soft but firm enough to roll.

Dust the work surface lightly with flour.

Divide the dough into 2 or more parts and shape each into a sausage-like roll about 1 inch in diameter. Cut the roll into pieces 3/4 inch long.

To shape the gnocchi, hold a fork with the concave (top-side) facing you.
With the index finger of your other hand, press the dough piece just below the top of the fork. Pull down toward the fork's handle and allow the dough to roll over on itself.

The pieces should have ridges on one side formed by the tines of the fork and a depression on the other formed by your finger. *

While working with gnocchi, dust your hands and work surface regularly with flour.

Place the formed gnocchi on a lightly floured surface.

Cook the gnocchi in boiling, salted water 2-3 minutes or until they float to the surface.

Remove and mix gently with your desired sauce.

* An Alternate Method to Form Gnocchi:
Take each piece of dough, press and roll it against a cheese grater to give it a nice design and texture.

Potato Gnocchi with Fontina (serves 4)

Ingredients as for Potato Gnocchi above, with the addition of the following topping:

1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 oz. Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups traditional tomato sauce (optional)
Follow the recipe for Potato Gnocchi above.
After boiling, transfer the gnocchi to a baking dish.

Preheat the broiler.

In a small saucepan, heat the butter until lightly browned. Pour over the gnocchi.

Add the fontina slices on top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Place under the broiler 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and begins to brown.

Serve with tomato sauce on the side, if desired.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by firechef (Here is the potato g...)
Maryann, in the book we have "Biba's Italian Kitchen" she says to use only the most minimal amount of flour to avoid heavy gnocchi. Just enough to prevent sticking. I believe that goes for either kind riccotta or potato. IMHO, riccotta gnocchi are to die for and I can't wait to try the preist chokers. The other kinds just don't interest me, grandma never even told me there were any other kinds. I'm sure they can't be genuinely Italian
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by farnfam (Maryann, in the book...)
Boy, this recipe sure is not heavy in the least. I used a fork.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by cjs (Boy, this recipe sur...)
I thought oh how funny and then thought oh boy I need to get out more...
  Re: Re: Ricotta Gnocchi by cjs (Boy, this recipe sur...)
Okay, then I'll have to be trying them again. So, where do you get the truffle salt?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."