Biggest Loser
  Re: (...)
Ok not sure if anyone watches this show but me, but I love it. I've watched all 5 seasons.

Anyway...this year Rocco has been a guest chef on the show. He took a few of their favorite recipes and redid them to reduce the calories.

One of them was Peppered Steak. The original recipe was 1700 calories (yikes!). Well his recipe ends up being like 400 calories. So thought I'd share 3 of them here.

Pepper Steak – Roger

Serves 4

3 ½ cups Free-Range Chicken Broth, low sodium
fresh ground pepper and NuSalt
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
12 Anaheim peppers
Pam spray
4 5-ounce portions lean beef tenderloin
1 vidalia onion, slice thinly
5 cloves chopped garlic
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup Trader Joes Fat Free Salt-Free Marinara
½ cup Evaporated Fat Free Milk
½ cup chopped fines herbs (parsley, chives, tarragon and chervil)
pinch cayenne

1. Bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepot. Season with NuSalt and add rice. Cover, turn down heat to a very low simmer and cook for about 1 hour or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fuff rice with fork and toss with olive oil. Keep warm.

2. Char Anaheim peppers over an open flame, turning to cook evenly, until skins are mostly burnt. Place peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 7 minutes to steam off skin. Remove as much charred skin as possible with a paper towel. Seed peppers and cut into rings about ½ inch thick.

3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season steaks with pepper and NuSalt and spray pan with Pam. Saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove steaks from pan and keep warm.

4. Spray pan with Pam again and add onions. Saute until onions are starting to become tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Deglaze with balsamic vinegar. Add 1 cup chicken stock to the pan and bring to a simmer. Mix remaining ½ cup chicken stock with cornstarch to make a slurry and whisk into pan. Stir in marinara and evaporated milk and bring to a simmer. Add peppers, cayenne and simmer until vegetables are tender. Return beef to the pan to reheat, for about 2 minutes. Stir in fines herbs. Serve with rice.

Chicken Alfredo – Kelly

Serves 4

1 vidalia onion, small dice (about 2 cups)
6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 ½ cups organic free-range chicken broth, low sodium
¾ pound quinoa pasta
4 5-ounce chicken breasts, pounded thin
chickpea flour for dredging
3 egg whites, lightly whisked
Pam spray
4 slices turkey bacon, cut into small lardons
2 12 ounce cans Evaporated Fat-Free Milk
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 3.25-ounce packages Bird’s Eye Steamer Fresh Peas (have no sodium)
4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano
large pinch nutmeg

1. Combine onion, garlic and chicken broth, cover and simmer until onions are tender and most of the liquid is reduced (about 20 minutes). Puree in a blender and strain (if desired). Set aside.

2. Cook quinoa pasta according to package instructions.

3. Meanwhile, season chicken breasts with pepper and NuSalt and dredge chicken in chickpea flour. Dip breasts in egg whites to coat well and then dredge once more in chickpea flour. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat and spray with Pam. Add chicken to the pan and sauté until golden brown and just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove chicken from the pan.

4. Add turkey bacon to the pan and saute for about 1-2 minutes. Add 1 ½ cans Evaporated Fat-Free Milk to the pan and bring up to simmer. Meanwhile mix remaining ½ can milk with cornstarch to make a slurry. Whisk mixture into the pan and add reserved onion garlic puree. Add frozen peas to the pan, bring to a simmer and cook until peas are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in parmigiano and nutmeg. Season with pepper and NuSalt. Make a bed of quinoa pasta and lay chicken on top. Spoon sauce over chicken and pasta and serve.

Beef Tenderloin with Loaded Baked Yams - Ali

Serves 4

4 small yams
1 large Vidalia onion, cut into rings about 1/3 inch thick
Pam spray
4 slices turkey bacon
4 medium tomatillos, husks removed
½ Vidalia onion, chopped fine
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
4 5-ounce portions lean beef tenderloin
1 ½ cups Free-Range Chicken Broth, low sodium
¾ cup lite sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 garlic clove, chopped fine
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley

1. Bake yams in 350 degree oven until tender, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, heat grill over high heat. Spray onion rings with pam and grill until charred on each side. Combine onions with chicken stock in a small saucepot. Cover and simmer until onions are tender, about 6 minutes.

2. Cook turkey bacon according to package instructions. Crumble.

3. Char tomatillos over an open flame until skins are mostly black. Rub off skin with paper towels and roughly chop tomatillos. Combine with Vidalia onion, cilantro and lime juice and season with NuSalt. Set aside.

4. Meanwhile, heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season steaks with pepper and NuSalt and spray pan with pam. Cook steaks in pan for about 4 mintutes per side for medium rare. Allow meat to rest.

5. Next, puree and strain the onion broth mixture and season with pepper and NuSalt.

6. Mix together the sour cream, chives, parsley and garlic. Season well with pepper and NuSalt.

7. Serve steaks with onion jus and serve sweet potatoes with yogurt herb mixture, tomatillo salsa and crumbled turkey bacon.
  Re: Biggest Loser by DFen911 (Ok not sure if anyon...)
Thanks for sharing the alfredo recipe and the rest...always looking for a way to reduce the calories of that classic. Have you tried any of these yet?

Kinda of topic...have you forgotten us and your gnocchi recipe Denise???

Pretty pretty please with sprinkles and a cherry on top?????
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Biggest Loser by firechef (Thanks for sharing t...)
I hear ya on the reduced-calorie Alfredo. Always looking for alternatives for this classic and family fave too!

Thanks Denise!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Biggest Loser by luvnit (I hear ya on the red...)
A good friend of mine was just telling me how much she loves this show, it's motivational for her ... as she sits in her recliner watching.
  Re: Biggest Loser by DFen911 (Ok not sure if anyon...)
Quote:

3 ½ cups Free-Range Chicken Broth, low sodium

Hmmm... Visions of these little boxes of chicken broth allowed to roam freely, instead of being kept in the cupboard. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Biggest Loser by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You have to be very careful when those free-range chicken broths are roaming near roadways...they do a number on the car if you hit one...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Biggest Loser by firechef (You have to be very ...)
Thanks for posting the recipes. When we were watching, we thought the pepper steak looked really good.
  Re: Re: Biggest Loser by martha63 (Thanks for posting t...)
I think I'm going to make it tomorrow night