OT When The Cat's Away
  Re: (...)
The mouse will play. I'm home alone for the next week. They're allgoing to charlestion and savannah tomorrow, but I'm trying not to think about that!! so for the next week, I get to cook whatever I want. The Morocaan Halibut is right up there, pizza, Pepin's recipe for Pasta with a soft egg on it, chicken with shallots , thyme, apples and cream, the grown up lasagne from this month's Gourmet or BA (fresh lasagne noodles with a bechamel sauce made with Madeira),and for next weekend, I have some pork belly I want to try something different with. and sweet potato gnocchi. I love it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: OT When The Cat's Away by Lorraine (The mouse will play....)
Sounds great. You will need to have some friends to come over and help you eat all that food!!!

When I'm left alone, don't ever want to cook anything too elaborate. I usually look for a friend to go out to dinner with.
  Re: Re: OT When The Cat's Away by HomeCulinarian (Sounds great. You w...)
If I'm not cooking something to freeze for Paul while he's gone, I usually cook up some hamburger patties if I cook at all...otherwise I have salad, cottage cheese, or maybe soup and crackers. Buddy prefers when Paul is home, that way he gets more people food to eat. Since I have less than half of Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs left after Paul's hour long stop, I am presently cracking Cardamon pods so I can make a double batch. Won't actually put them together and cook them until tomorrow. Paul's due home for the weekend about noon tomorrow.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: OT When The Cat's Away by HomeCulinarian (Sounds great. You w...)
Some I'll make in small quantities, others I'll freeze, or bring to my staff. I also have to replenish my supply of frozen crepes. I know this will sound pathetic, but I really don't have any friends here. It really will be me and the cats.
  Re: Re: OT When The Cat's Away by Lorraine (Some I'll make in sm...)
Sure wish I lived closer, Lorraine! It sounds like you're going to be cooking some good dishes this week.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT When The Cat's Away by Mare749 (Sure wish I lived cl...)
I wished I lived closer, too! I'd enjoy spending time cooking with you!
  Re: Re: OT When The Cat's Away by HomeCulinarian (I wished I lived clo...)
With food costs the way they are and gas costs the way they are and all of the other bills it is a wonder we eat at all...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Well Lorraine, you have peaked my interest about this pasta and egg thing. I went online to search for this Pepin recipe for Pasta and Eggs, but have had NO luck. I did find this tasty-sounding morsel though. But I will keep looking and be back later.

PASTA WITH FRIED EGGS, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, AND BACON

3 bacon slices, chopped
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
12 ounces spaghetti or linguine

4 large eggs
1 6-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese

Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings; add 3 teaspoons oil and maintain heat. Add onions; sauté until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid in bowl. Return pasta to pot; add onions. Cover to keep warm.

Heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet; fry until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach, cheese, eggs, and bacon to pasta; toss until egg whites are torn into shreds and spinach wilts. Add pasta cooking liquid to moisten. Season with salt and pepper; serve.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Okay, that was fast! Now I think I found it. Is this it?

Bow Tie Pasta with Fried Eggs and Cheese - 4 servings

12 ounces farfalle (bowtie) pasta
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced chives
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 large eggs
1 1/3 cups grated Swiss cheese

Bring water to a boil, cook pasta until done to your liking. Meanwhile, put the EVOO, chives, salt, and pepper in a bowl large enough to hold the cooked pasta. When the pasta is ready, remove 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and add it to the bowl. Drain pasta well and toss with ingredients in bowl.

Melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in each of two nonstick skillets. Break two of the eggs into each skillet and cook, covered, over medium high heat for about 2 minutes until the whites are just set. Spoon 6 ounces of pasta onto warmed plates and sprinkle on a heaping spoonful of cheese. Place 2 eggs on top of the pasta, add a little more cheese, and then a half ladle of pasta. (The egg yolks should be visible through the top layer of pasta). Cook remaining eggs and plate the same way.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT When The Cat's Away by luvnit (Okay, that was fast!...)
That's the one, Laura! The bacon/onion one sure sounds good!