Anyone Remember This "Beast"???
  Re: (...)
I seem to remember my Mom partaking in the "sharing" of this one when I was a kid...does this still "go around"? If not think it could make a comeback? They say that things from the past keep coming back ya know...

Herman Coffee Cake Starter and Bread

This delicious cake (and starter) should be shared with friends, who in turn share with their friends ... and on and on. Thus, often called a "Friendship Cake", it fills the house with an irresistible aroma and makes a lovely present for any Holiday. Although it takes about 3 weeks for the Starter to be ready to use, feeding Herman is very quick and easy. This recipe was given to me by a friend over 30 years ago, and I still enjoy sharing this Herman Cake & Starter (including recipe).

STARTER
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
HERMAN BREAD
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
2 whole eggs
2/3 cup cooking oil (I use canola)
1 cup nuts or raisins, boiled & drained (I use pecans)
TOPPING
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
GLAZE
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts

1. STARTER: Stir Ingredients together, mixing well, in a gallon container.
2. Cover tightly and refrigerate.
3. Feed Herman the same 3 Starter ingredients (above) every 5 days for a total of 4 times (20 days).
4. Stir Herman daily.
5. When you are ready to bake a Herman Cake, you should have about eight cups of starter.
6. Bake Herman cake (recipe below) on the 25th day from the first feeding.
7. ***Keep your own starter growing, use some to bake a Herman Cake, and give some to friends.
8. ***SHARING YOUR STARTER: If someone gives you a cup of Herman Starter, you must feed it for 10 days before you bake with it.
9. Day 1: Feed Starter with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.
10. Stir, cover and refrigerate.
11. Day 2-4: Stir.
12. Leave in refrigerator.
13. Day 5: Feed Starter again with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.
14. Stir, cover and refrigerate.
15. Day 6-9: Stir.
16. Leave in refrigerator.
17. ***Herman should now be about 4 cups: use 2 cups to bake, give 1 cup to friend, and keep 1 cup to grow more Starter.
18. ***Day 10: MAKE HERMAN CAKE AS FOLLOWS: Mix all Herman Cake ingredients together, along with 2 cups of Herman Starter, and pour into a greased/floured bundt pan.
19. Sprinkle top with Topping mixture.
20. Bake 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
21. Or use a 15x19-2" pan and bake 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
22. TOPPING MIXTURE: Mix together all Topping ingredients and sprinkle over cake BEFORE baking.
23. GLAZE: Mix all Glaze ingredients together and cook for 5 minutes.
24. Pour over top of hot baked Herman Cake.

I am sure if anyone is still doing this they have different recipes and for others this might just be a trip down memory lane...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Anyone Remember This "Beast"??? by firechef (I seem to remember m...)
Oh yes, this was called Amish Friendship Bread in our area. It was very good. I liked it but got sick of making it after a while. All good things must come to an end.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Anyone Remember This "Beast"??? by luvnit (Oh yes, this was cal...)
Yeah, but they say history repeats itself and "trends" come back as do styles...Never can tell this may be the next "big thing" in the culinary world. Then again maybe it will not be the next "big thing" in the culinary world.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Anyone Remember This "Beast"??? by firechef (Yeah, but they say h...)
Lol we just had 4 rounds of that go around here good bread by the way, but sweet.
  Re: Re: Anyone Remember This "Beast"??? by DFen911 (Lol we just had 4 ro...)
See, I told you it was making a comeback! Southern California is where all of the "trend setters" live and start all of the "cool" trends that we all go nuts trying to copy...anything else making a come back Denise?