"Iron Posting America"
  Re: (...)
A friendly joke of a challenge for the summer has come up between two of our very own new members of the "VFW" as Labs put it...

Therefore I, being very bored and sarcastic (in case no one noticed) have devised a posting battle between these two ladies...their first "secret forum topic" is FEIJOADA...they need to find out what it is and give us their take on it and maybe even find a recipe or better yet if able give it a whirl...the best thing is that the cuisine that features this "topic" has been featured recently in C@H...

"Let the battle begin..."
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: "Iron Posting America" by firechef (A friendly joke of a...)
Just as long as nobody things feijoada is the same as foetid dingo's kidneys ... or is it? Could be a matter of opinion. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: "Iron Posting America" by labradors (Just as long as nobo...)
OK, I refuse to post the picture I found after last time...LOL! As for the definition:

"Feijoada: A Brazilian dish consisting of an assortment of sliced meats, such as tongue and sausage, and side dishes, including rice, beans, collard greens, oranges, and hot pepper sauce."

and recipe I will tell you I will not be trying the authentic version:

"Brazilian feijoada

Recipe
The Brazilian feijoada is prepared with black turtle beans, with a variety of salted pork and beef products such as salted pork trimmings (ears, tail, feet), bacon, smoked pork ribs, at least two types of smoked sausage and jerked beef (loin and tongue).

This stew is best prepared over slow fire in a thick clay pot. The final dish has the beans and meat pieces barely covered by a dark purplish-brown broth. The taste is strong, moderately salty but not spicy, dominated by the flavors of black bean and meat stew.

Side dishes
In Brazil, feijoada is traditionally served with rice, and accompanied by chopped refried collard greens (couve mineira), lighly roasted coarse cassava flour (farofa), and a peeled and sliced orange. Other common side dishes are boiled or deep-fried cassava, deep-fried bananas, and pork rinds (torresmo). A pot of hot pepper sauce is often provided on the side. The meal is often washed down with cachaça or beer."

but might be willing to try this one:

Recipe: Feijoada
(Meat Stew)
Recipe origin: Brazil

Ingredients

3 strips of raw bacon
2 onions
3 cloves garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 pound smoked sausage
1 pound boneless beef (any cut of meat)
1 can (14-ounce) stewed tomatoes
1 cup hot water
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
4 cups canned black beans
Salt and pepper
Procedure

Cut the bacon strips into big pieces. Fry them in a large pot over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
Turn the heat down to medium.
Cut the onion in half. Peel off the skin and outer layer. Chop both halves into small pieces.
Peel the cloves of garlic. Chop them into small pieces.
Add the onions and garlic to the bacon in the pot. Stir until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
Cut the sausage and beef into 1-inch pieces. Add them to the onions and garlic.
Cook until the meat is brown on all sides.
Add the stewed tomatoes (with juice), hot water, yellow mustard, and some salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to simmer. Cover the pot.
Cook for about 45 minutes, stirring often. If it looks too thick, add more water, ¼ cup at a time. Add the black beans (with liquid).
Cover the pot, and cook for 10 more minutes.
Serves 10 to 12.

More?

"Tradition

Since it is a rather heavy dish that takes several hours to cook, feijoada is consumed in Brazil only occasionally, usually at lunch time. Traditionally restaurants will offer it as the "day's special" only once or twice a week, usually on Wednesdays, Saturdays, or sometimes on Sundays. (As a traditional holdover from old Catholic dietary restrictions, the Friday's special dish is more likely to be fish.) However, some restaurants will serve feijoada all the week long.

History

A popular myth states that the Brazilian feijoada was a "luxury" dish of African slaves on Brazilian colonial farms (engenhos), as it was prepared with relatively cheap ingredients (beans, rice, collard greens, farofa) and leftovers from salted pork and meat production. Over time, it first became a popular dish among lower classes, and finally the "national dish" of Brazil, offered even by the finest restaurants.

However, historians like Luis da Camara Cascudo consider that the feijoada is a Brazilian version of stews from Southern European countries like France (cassoulet), Spain, Italy and, of course, Portugal. Traditional Portuguese bean-and-pork dishes (cozidos) like those from the regions of Estremadura and Trás-os-Montes are the ancestors of Brazilian feijoada."

How's that?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: "Iron Posting America" by Gourmet_Mom (OK, I refuse to post...)
Wow...that was quick work "Iron Poster" Daphne.

We will have to see if "Iron Poster" Laura comes up with and her take on things. Then I will prepare the next "battle" and come fall we will have a winner and a true "Iron Poster" that could "Battle" our own "Master of the Post" Jean.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: "Iron Posting America" by Gourmet_Mom (OK, I refuse to post...)
Sounds like what I've heard. Now you see why I'd be reluctant to try it - also why I likened it to "foetid dingo's kidneys" (as well as for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference, of course).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: "Iron Posting America" by labradors (Sounds like what I'v...)
Daphne
  Re: "Iron Posting America" by firechef (A friendly joke of a...)
Nice try... Anyone can copy from Wikipedia.

But I will thank you LJ. I am really a coconut lover and I never gave this recipe much of a glance when I got the issue. I must have been busy. Sometimes you just overlook a recipe.

I would make this tonight but have already planned a Jacques Pepin pasta and egg dish. My hubby would be sorrily disappointed if I didn't follow through.

As for the Feijoada (fay-ZHAWH-duh) reference in the c@H recipe, the only thing about feijoada in this recipe is the black beans. There is NO bacon or smoked pork of any kind. If the inclusion of black beans were the only requirement to call it feijoada, we'd have to rename many recipes.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: "Iron Posting America" by luvnit (Nice try... Anyone c...)
ROFLMAO! Good comeback! She's got claws....LOL!

But where's the recipe "my worthy opponent"?
Daphne
  Re: Re: "Iron Posting America" by Gourmet_Mom (ROFLMAO! Good comeb...)
You are funny! Meow!

The recipe is in the February 2008 issue No. 67. The beans have oranges, tomato and poblano in them and look splended. The pork cutlets are breaded with coconut and panko! Yum!

I love to try this even tomorrow. I know we have a birthday party to go to in the afternoon and will be served food.

My SIL called me for a meatball recipe to make Meatball Hoagies. I gave her the C@H meatball recipe that I had just made and was making the tomato sauce when she called for the recipe. I even sent her the photo. The response was this. "Maybe I will just buy frozen meatballs and put Prego on them."

Not that I have anything against frozen meatballs or Prego. I don't. To me it's just irritating when someone calls for a recipe and really has no intention of actually making the dish. Or worse yet, dumbs down the recipe and says, "I got it from Laura." Lord help me!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: "Iron Posting America" by luvnit (You are funny! [img]...)
Quote:

Or worse yet, dumbs down the recipe and says, "I got it from Laura." Lord help me!

OMG, I'd never thought of that! YIKES! I need to start monitoring who I share my recipes with...present company excluded, of course!
Daphne