Couple of great food days!
  Re: (...)
A couple days ago I made Sticky Wings and Homemade Rice-a-Roni . We love Rice-a-roni, but it really seemed like a lot of sodium, so I made my own version with rice, orzo, chicken broth and green onions. We LOVED it! I will have to experiment a little more with this one. Use different broths, etc.

Homemade Rice-a-Roni

[Image: roni.jpg]

1 1/2 cup long grain rice
1/4 cup orzo
2 T. butter
3 cups chicken broth
1 t. salt
3/4 cup scallions, sliced

Melt butter in saucepan and add rice. When rice begins to brown a tiny bit, add orzo. The orzo browns fast, so keep an eye out. When nicely browned, slowly add chicken broth, salt and scallions. Bring to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat to low (as in cooking rice). Cook on low for 15-20 minutes. Fluff with fork and enjoy!

Okay now my Sticky Wings . Hubby and I have been making these for years. We would make a meal out of these lovely wings, white rice and a salad. Sooooo good and sooooo easy.

[Image: stickywings.jpg]

3 lbs. chicken wings, thawed, cut tips and throw away, cut wing at joint
For sauce: 1/2 cup each, honey, soy sauce and bbq sauce

Cut up wings, place in 9x13 pan. Mix sauce and pour over top. Cook in oven at 375 for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to coat wings with sauce. I do not recommend using the bags of frozen wings. They are injected with too much water and you won't get your sticky sauce, just soup.

Now last night we had PASTA WITH POACHED EGGS, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, AND BACON . This is our version of a recent recipe we found.

[Image: pastaegg2.jpg]

Here is our recipe:

PASTA WITH POACHED EGGS, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, AND BACON

4 bacon slices
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
12 ounces spaghetti or linguine

4 large eggs
1 6-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup grated Parmesano Reggiano

Cook bacon slices in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings; add 3 teaspoons oil and maintain heat. Add onions; sauté until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid in bowl. Return pasta to pot; add onions. Cover to keep warm.

Heat water in a skillet or shallow pan to poach eggs. Add salt and 1-2 teaspoons of vinegar. When bubbles form on the bottom of the pan, add eggs, cover. Do NOT boil. When egg whites are firm and yolk is still soft remove eggs with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.

At the same time, heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add spinach, salt and pepper to taste and cook until wilted.

Add to pasta the 1/2 cup pasta water and toss with parmesan cheese. Put pasta in bowl top with spinach and then top with egg. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and a fresh grating of parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon; serve.

I hope I got that right. Here is the original recipe. You can try that also if you want. Essentially it's the same thing, I just rearranged it a bit.

PASTA WITH FRIED EGGS, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, AND BACON

3 bacon slices, chopped
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
12 ounces spaghetti or linguine

4 large eggs
1 6-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese

Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings; add 3 teaspoons oil and maintain heat. Add onions; sauté until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid in bowl. Return pasta to pot; add onions. Cover to keep warm.

Heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet; fry until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach, cheese, eggs, and bacon to pasta; toss until egg whites are torn into shreds and spinach wilts. Add pasta cooking liquid to moisten. Season with salt and pepper; serve.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Couple of great food days! by luvnit (A couple days ago I ...)
O Laura, they look delicious!! YUM Yum! I really like the poached egg with pasta, copied and on list!
We've been having a couple of great food days ourselves. Last nite we had the Greek Shrimp from Issue 51 Table for Two. And tonite we're having priest chokers. James thinks he needs to "tank up" since I'll be leaving Monday for my wedding assignments tehe
Cis
Empress for LIfe
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by farnfam (O Laura, they look d...)
The poached egg and pasta dish looks pretty good...different but really good. That one is saved and going to be tried later.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by firechef (The poached egg and ...)
Beautiful, all of it.
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by Trixxee (Beautiful, all of it...)
Wow! The pasta looks wonderful! And that wing recipe reminds me of one I haven't made in years. I'll have to search for it and compare. Thanks for posting!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by Lorraine (Wow! The pasta look...)
Very nice Laura! I'll have to try out the Rice-a-Roni one for sure. I used to buy packaged rice products like that, but checked out the nutrition facts and stopped buying it. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by Gourmet_Mom (Very nice Laura! I'...)
I too quit buying prepackaged stuff (unless under duress). The sodium is just too high, among other things. But this was really great. You could actually taste the food. It tastes better, it's better for you, my kids like it better too.

I think it would be great with toasted almonds in it. My kids would not eat that, but I sure would. If you find you like it and try other variations, I'd like to hear about them.
Laura
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by luvnit (I too quit buying pr...)
I think the first adjustment I'll make is saute some onion before adding the rice and orzo. I also think instead of toasted almonds, toasted pine nuts. I LOVE pine nuts. Then I'll maybe add green onion and/or fresh chopped parsley when I fluff the rice. I've got a rice dish we like similar, minus the orzo (that's the genius of yours) that adds lemon zest at the end as well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by Gourmet_Mom (I think the first ad...)
Love pine nut and lemon zest. I thought I would also make a variation with beef broth too.

Who knows Daphne, we could have our OWN line of rice dishes on the market before we know it!
Laura
  Re: Re: Couple of great food days! by luvnit (Love pine nut and le...)
With so much rice around here, I toss together things like this quite a bit - often with carrots and broccoli added. One of my favourite variations is to add a VERY generous amount of chipotle powder and some heavy cream. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?