Next Saturday Already...
  Re: (...)
Since I got the grill I wanted yesterday for my birthday (a nice $57.76 charcoal jobber from the local Wal-Mart) I have discovered a "project" for next weekend once we have the thing put together...

This is the project:

Cooking Roast Prime Rib on the Grill
by Hans Dekker

Love the taste of prime rib? Love the taste of barbecue? You can combine them together for cooking roast prime rib on the grill. It takes a bit longer than hamburgers, but cooking roast prime rib on the grill gives you a fabulous roast that everyone enjoys.

You need a lot of charcoal for cooking prime rib on the grill. The cooking time is about two hours so you need about 8 pounds of good quality charcoal. Fire up the charcoal and wait until the flames die down and the charcoal is giving off a good heat.

When cooking prime rib on the grill, you don't want the meat to be directly over the hot coals. Move them over to one side of the grill so that you can place the roast on the other side. Before putting the meat on the barbecue, rub the exterior with a mixture of coarse salt, pepper and herbs.

You can use either bone on or bone off when cooking roast prime rib on the grill. You can ask the butcher to remove the bones and then tie them back onto the meat. This gives you the best of both worlds - easy carving and great tasting ribs.

Place the meat on the grill and cover it tightly. If the cover has vents, you want to close them as well. Check the grill from time to time to make sure it has enough heat to for cooking roast prime rib on the grill. If it cools off, you can open the events to let the flames build up again.

After two hours of cooking roast prime rib on the grill, take the cover off and check the temperature with a meat thermometer. The interior will be about 115° when the meat is rare, and 150° is well done. Be sure to check the temperature as close to the middle as possible.

After cooking roast prime rib on the grill to your taste, remove it from the grill and let it sit for about 15 minutes before serving. I hope you bought a big enough roast because your guests will ask for seconds and thirds!

This article was written by Hans Dekker, the author of www.steaks-guide.com
and the barbeque and grill section of www.patio-furniture-ideas.com

Oh boy oh boy this is going to be nice...I also have a wood chip box for my new grill so I am thinking a "traditional" hickory smoked prime rib...that is next Saturday's plan. Not that I am planing ahead or anything.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Next Saturday Already... by firechef (Since I got the gril...)
Wonderful! You are gonna have to report on this. If I made this for my husband, I think he marry me again on the spot! Seriously! My hubby's birthday is in July, he would be thrilled with this for a meal. Maybe we'd ahve to do bacon wrapped corn on the cob too! (If the corn is ready yet) Tell me how this goes... please!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by luvnit (Wonderful! You are ...)
Will let you know how it turns out...I may have found dessert for next Saturday too. Found this one "across the pond" as well...

Barbecued Oranges

Ingredients

4 Oranges
4 tbsp Brown Sugar
4 tbsp Dark Rum
1/2 teasp Cinnamon
4 teasp Butter

Method

* Peel the oranges and cut into slices, catching any juice.

* Place the slices on 4 squares of double thickness aluminium foil and sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon and rum. Dot with butter then fold the edges up to form parcels, making sure you seal the edges well.

* Cook over hot coals for 15 - 20 minutes until heated through. Serve hot.

Serves 4

Recipes4us

Sounds good and a bit different at the same time.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by firechef (Will let you know ho...)
MMmmMm that sounds yummy!
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by DFen911 (MMmmMm that sounds y...)
I'm not one to go out for Prime Rib, it always seems to be extra fatty, but really enjoy the homemade Prime Rib. Have never done one on the grill so I will save this for future reference. Thanks LJ.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by bjcotton (I'm not one to go ou...)
I love prime rib on the barbeque. When they go on sale, I buy and freeze them. A two rib roast does the trick for us.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by Lorraine (I love prime rib on ...)
Try some grilled pineapple (with a little sprinkling of cayenne) on the new grill, LJ - it's delicous.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by cjs (Try some grilled pin...)
Pineapple??? Do you "ring" it or chunk it or "spear" it??? Just cayenne or is there a sweet to go with it other than the pineapple itself? Holly LOVES fresh pineapple. How long does it cook for??? What am I looking for in grilling it?

Now see what you did? I am scratching my head on this as pineapple is pricey around here and I do not want to "botch" it any.

I am doing the prime rib recipe for Saturday if it does not rain. Toss up on either the oranges or now pineapple for dessert and of course the vegetable will be asparagus or zucchini and cherry tomatoes with a nice feta cheese sauce.
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by firechef (Pineapple??? Do you...)
Just clean it and don't core. Slice it in rings or large spears (like cut it in 1/8s), rub with just a little olive oil (sprinkled with a little cayenne if you want)and grill it over a medium heat turning every 3-5 minutes depending on how quickly the pieces color. The grilling brings up all the sugars and will be the best pineapple you've ever tasted!

If the pineapple is good and ripe, the core will be edible when the grilling is done, if it's a little under-ripe, the core may be too tough to enjoy.

The only way you can make it any better is to not eat it all with dinner and cut up some chunks of it to put over ice cream. died and gone to heaven.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Saturday Already... by cjs (Just clean it and do...)
You all need to come down here and have the pineapple that's allowed to ripen more, rather than the ones they pick early to send from here to the States. YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?