Onions....
  Re: (...)
While putting dinner together a few minutes ago, I got to thinking....I know, that's dangerous! Anyway, I got a bag of regular (Spanish?) onions on sale the other day, simply because they didn't have any sweets and the regular were on sale. I've noticed that I tear more dicing these compared to the sweets. I got to wondering...is there anything you would NOT use sweets in? I find myself using them in place of regular all the time.

HMMM?

BTW, we planted 3 different types of onions in the garden last week...shallots, whites, and reds.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Onions.... by Gourmet_Mom (While putting dinner...)
I usually use the sweets too. But it seems that the ones we've been getting aren't all that sweet anyway. Must be because of winter. I too just bought a bunch of 'regular' onions. They are fine too.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Onions.... by luvnit (I usually use the sw...)
Doesn't matter to me, as long as they're not the utterly flavourless (except when raw on a hamburger) Vidalias.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Onions.... by labradors (Doesn't matter to me...)
When I was in Florida a few months ago, my future SIL was scouring the market looking for plain old cooking onions, the kind she called "hot" not sweet. They were much stronger and cause more tearing. She insisted that was the only kind she could use in her Italian Wedding Soup.

I usually buy the sweet variety unless the other kind are on sale.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Onions.... by Mare749 (When I was in Florid...)
I am still using ones from my garden, and it seems to me that as they are aging they are not cutting as nice as when they were fresher. Maybe that was the reason. Other than that I use whatever I have on hand.

I don't know, Labs, but I'll take a Vidalia grilled on the BBQ any day. Could make a meal of that, throw in a zucchini, and I am a happy girl!
  Re: Re: Onions.... by iBcookin (I am still using one...)
I usually buy regular old cooking onions, unless I'm making something that specifically calls for something else.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Onions.... by Lorraine (I usually buy regula...)
I usually have yellow (is that was ya'all call regular cooking onions?), white, and red onions on hand. I started wearing contacts a couple of years ago and discovered that chopping onions no longer makes me cry. Turns out the vapors enter your eyes through the iris. Before contacts, I was always crying up a storm chopping my onions.

They were on sale here, too. I bought 6# of yellow and plan to try my crock pot cookbook's French Onion Soup recipe this week.
  Re: Re: Onions.... by HomeCulinarian (I usually have yello...)
Quote:

I started wearing contacts a couple of years ago and discovered that chopping onions no longer makes me cry. Turns out the vapors enter your eyes through the iris. Before contacts, I was always crying up a storm chopping my onions.

WOW! I thought I was special because I didn't cry when I chopped onions... never a tear. Kinda even made me feel a little superior to those who did. I thought it was my years of experience in the kitchen. Short a like getting used to touching hot food. HA! The laugh is on me... It's just my Acuvue's doing the work!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Onions.... by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
would not like sweets on burgers or tacos!! Also, like the way the sweetness comes out of the regular onions on the grill.

I don't buy sweet onions very often at all, I guess because I like the intense® flavor added to the sweetness of grilling or long, slow cooking of onions.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com