Chickpea Cakes
  Re: (...)
I want to make some of these - does anyone have a tried and true (only please - I can search with the best of you) recipe for these little goodies?

I'm thinking if I search Greek recipe sites, I should get some good ideas, hopefully.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chickpea Cakes by cjs (I want to make some ...)
I'll see if my "cousin" or what ever she is has one or if our Great-Grandmother has one...hope to have one by mid to late morning for you...

Wonder if Kraft has one??? Just kidding...hope I didn't go too far in the Pumpkin Pie thread...???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
I've never heard of them, Jean. What are they like?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chickpea Cakes by Lorraine (I've never heard of ...)
This may not be what you are looking for but it is "recommended" by a good friend in the northeast that is very Greek. He will be having them as part of his Easter celebrations for the 27th. His wife uses this one regularly for him...

Chickpea Bourekia (Bourekia me Revithia)

Serves 6 as part of a mezethes plate

250 g (8 oz) cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup (125 mL/4 fl oz) dry white wine
125 g (4 oz) goat's milk or other feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 egg, beaten
225 g (7 oz) filo pastry
Olive oil, as needed

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F/gas mark 5). Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl and set aside. Cook the olive oil, onion and garlic in a saucepan, until the onion and garlic are translucent. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and stir. Now add the wine and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. When the mixture has cooled, stir in the cheese, chickpeas, coriander and egg. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside.

Now prepare the pastry. Cut the filo pastry into rectangles about 10 cm x 20 cm (4 in. x 8 in.). Brush each sheet with a little olive oil. Put a tablespoonful of filling at one end of a sheet. Fold over the sides and nearest end of the filo and roll the pastry lengthways into a sausage shape. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden in colour.

from
Greek Cuisine: The New Classics
by Peter Conistis
Illustrated by Skye Rogers
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Chickpea Cakes by firechef (This may not be what...)
That sounds good LJ, but I'm looking to make 'patties' not use as a filling.

I did find one (new) recipe from Gourmet for Chickpea Rolls that looks promising if I don't find a tried and true. The ones I tasted (somewhere....) were made with mashed chickpeas, rather chunky - not a smooth cake and they were really good.

Rather than Greek, it could be these would be Ethiopian maybe or from that part of the world. still searching.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Something like this, Jean? They sound great!

Delia's Chickpea Cakes
  Re: Re: Chickpea Cakes by Lorraine (Something like this,...)
my, doesn't that sound tasty!!! Thanks Lorraine - guess I'm going to have to play in unchartered territory....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chickpea Cakes by cjs (my, doesn't that sou...)
Skip the sweet potato gnocci, I think I'll try these!

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Cakes
  Re: Re: Chickpea Cakes by Lorraine (Skip the sweet potat...)
No problem getting chickpeas here, but phyllo is out of the question, and I'm not sure that the local approximation of sweet potatoes would work in that last recipe. I may still try it, though, but adjusting the liquids (since camotes are drier than regular sweet potatoes), or just substituting more chickpeas for the sweet potatoes.

Aside from the usual hummus, falafel, salad garnishes, etc., do any of you have any other interesting, innovative recipes for chickpeas?

Maybe we should start another "mystery" dinner on my site, starting with chickpeas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chickpea Cakes by labradors (No problem getting c...)
I do lots of goodies with chickpeas - love them.

Lorraine, that sounds so good.

Yes!! another mystery dinner!! good idea.
www.achefsjourney.com