Still On The Taleggio Kick
  Re: (...)
Found an idea for a grilled sandwich using Taleggio cheese and an onion jam. Found an onion jam recipe from an old Bon Appetit -

Onion jam

1 1/2 pounds red onions -- very thinly sliced
2 cups dry red wine
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

For onion jam:
Combine onions, wine, honey, and thyme in large skillet. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until wine is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes. Mix in red wine vinegar.

Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors, adding water by tablespoonfuls to moisten if jam is dry and stirring often (onions will still be slightly crunchy). Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Before using, rewarm over medium heat until just
warm, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if jam is dry.)

Description:
"a B.A. recipe"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've not tried this one - does anyone have a tried and true one? Cannot get enough of this cheese...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Still On The Taleggio Kick by cjs (Found an idea for a ...)
Quote:

Found an idea for a grilled sandwich using Taleggio cheese and an onion jam. Found an onion jam recipe from an old Bon Appetit -                                Onion jam  1 1/2         pounds  red onions -- very thinly sliced  2               cups  dry red wine  2        tablespoons  honey  1         tablespoon  chopped fresh thyme  2        tablespoons  red wine vinegarFor onion jam: Combine onions, wine, honey, and thyme in large skillet. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until wine is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes. Mix in red wine vinegar. Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors, adding water by tablespoonfuls to moisten if jam is dry and stirring often (onions will still be slightly crunchy). Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before using, rewarm over medium heat until just warm, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if jam is dry.)Description:  "a B.A. recipe"                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I've not tried this one - does anyone have a tried and true one? Cannot get enough of this cheese...

Just found this thread and it sounds wonderful Jean!--love this cheese--my cheese monger daughter at Central Market, Austin, brought it to us.  I've posted this combo before, but we made a roasted red bell pepper/chipotle soup and served it for brunch with plain telleggio cheese toast--sinfull!! This cheese doesn't need much help or garnish, it just doesn't last long.
  Re: Re: Still On The Taleggio Kick by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's one:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Onion Marmalade

Recipe By :Chefpolcyn - C2C
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candy-Jelly/Jam-Syrup

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 large Sweet Spanish Onions -- thinly sliced
2 tablespoons clarified butter
4 ounces corn syrup
salt and freshly ground white pepper -- to taste

Saute onions in clarified butter until lightly caramelized; stir in corn syrup slowly and reduce heat and cook NO MORE than 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Serve with any hot sandwich or savory appetizer.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Still On The Taleggio Kick by bjcotton (Here's one:[br][br] ...)
Hey, I got side-tracked from this, but not the Taleggio - I still grab it every chance I get. Thanks for bringing it up, Bill
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Still On The Taleggio Kick by cjs (Hey, I got side-trac...)
Sorry to be so "rural", but where could I find this? Does it have another name? Something similiar that I might could find here, in the market of the mundane or maybe at the Winnebago store????
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Still On The Taleggio Kick by farnfam (Sorry to be so "rura...)
It's not easy to find--places like a cheeseshop, we get ours when we drive 70 miles to Houston or 90 miles to Austin and go to Central Market, so it's not an everyday thing--but worth it!! It is a semi soft Italian, very rich!! Pick it up when you're in the right place.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Still On The Taleggio Kick by Old Bay (It's not easy to fin...)
yes, to what he said.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Still On The Taleggio Kick by cjs (yes, to what he said...)
will do!!!!!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life