Planning a Graduation Party
  Re: (...)
I am trying to plan a graduation party for my daugther. The best idea I found so far (remember she is vegan) is a 'Baked Potato Bar'. I found this in the book Paula Deen Celebrates! .

You start with several baked potatoes and:

• sour cream, chives, shredded cheese, butter and crumbled bacon
  • Chicken a la King topping
  • Steak and mushroom topping
  • Creamed seafood topping

Then add a nice Spinach Salad and cookies, bars and treats.

I thought this may be a pretty care-free menu that would satisfy all.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? Even a different menu if you think something may be better.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Planning a Graduation Party by luvnit (I am trying to plan ...)
sounds like a fun idea, Laura. I did one quite a while back and it was well received. One of the toppings that was unexpected and folks really liked (and we now use this a lot at home on b. potatoes) was an Asian spicy pear jelly. Any spicy fruit jelly could be used. Chili & cheddar and of course the usual sour cream, bacon, chives.

Here's another one that was especially good -

Baked Potatoes with Rib-Eye Steak Hash
Bon Appétit, March 2005

4 large russet potatoes (each about 10 ounces)
Olive oil
Coarse kosher salt
1 10-ounce rib-eye steak, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 bell peppers (preferably 1 red and 1 orange), cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 red jalapeño chiles, halved, seeded, very thinly sliced crosswise
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram

4 teaspoons butter
Fresh marjoram sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub potatoes with olive oil; sprinkle with coarse salt. Place on baking sheet. Pierce with fork. Bake until tender, about 1 hour.
Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and sear until brown but still very rare, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer steak to plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add bell peppers, onion, and jalapeños to skillet. Sauté until peppers are soft and onion caramelizes, about 30 minutes.

Cut steak crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Halve slices lengthwise into strips. Add cream, chopped marjoram, and steak to pepper mixture. Simmer until steak is heated through and cream thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cut cross in potatoes and press on sides to open slightly. Add salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon butter to each and mash slightly with fork. Top each with steak mixture. Garnish with marjoram
------

I remember we also had caramelized onions, blue cheese. So many ways to go with this. What a fun graduation party buffet it will be.

One nice young crowd dessert might be a fruit platter and sauce they can drizzle over the fruit -

Marshmallow/Cream Cheese

8 ozs cream cheese at room temperature
1 jar marshmallow crème -- (7 oz.)
Assorted fruit: strawberries -- pineapple, grapes, bananas, melons

Combine softened cream cheese and marshmallow crème; mix until well blended.

Serve with the assorted fruits.

Description:
"No matter how full people are, this is always completely gone!"

O.K., I'll stop...I can get carried away.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Planning a Graduation Party by cjs (sounds like a fun id...)
Oh Laura you and I are in the same boat I have to plan 2 parties. One for her and all of the family, and then one for her and her friends. At least she trusts me enough to let me do all the food for her friends.

She's going thru a rough patch right now. I hear it's normal with all teens around this time. She of course retorts with "...mom I KNOW we're (teens) all under stress, but you just don't understand!"

Oh let me get through these next fews months...
  Re: Re: Planning a Graduation Party by DFen911 (Oh Laura you and I a...)
...and this too shall pass...

Just bite your tongue and enjoy the h*ll out of the waning days she will be in your life daily (drama and all)!! (I miss it.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Planning a Graduation Party by luvnit (I am trying to plan ...)
Laura, it sounds like a great menu idea! A question for you. Two of my nephews are vegan, and they always welcome baked potatoes, but, I don't think they would eat those toppings. ( I sure would!!!). I've made a vegetarian lentil chili for them that they loved, I think it might make a good topping.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Planning a Graduation Party by Lorraine (Laura, it sounds lik...)
You are right Lorraine. My daugther will eat baked potatoes topped with carmelized onions. I used a little veg oil to saute and a touch of sugar. She'd put broccoli, a spritz of veggie broth, vegan chili on baked potatoes. I will have some of that stuff there too. Some of her friends are vegetarian and eat a modified diet too. If she had her way, nobody would eat meat at the function. But I am sorry, I can't see someone traveling 1-4 hours one way and not offer ANY meat. Lots of them are farmers or farm-raised, hunters and just would shake their heads. Well, I am sure they would be polite about it. But sheesh! Give these people some tasty meat! IMHO.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Planning a Graduation Party by luvnit (You are right Lorrai...)
What desserts are you doing? And, I forgot to ask, how many people?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Planning a Graduation Party by luvnit (You are right Lorrai...)
Laura and Denise, that sounds like fun! I haven't had a party since the champagne cocktail party I had at Thanksgiving? or Christmas?..

Probably won't have another until after the wedding (in August). My stepdaughter graduates from UNH in May but I have to squeeze in the ceremony between brunch and the reception afterwards. Yes, I have to work.

Vegans are so difficult to feed, in my opinion. How do you do it, Laura?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Planning a Graduation Party by pjcooks (Laura and Denise, th...)
Quote:

...Vegans are so difficult to feed, in my opinion.

Nah! Just set 'em out in the field and let 'em graze.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Planning a Graduation Party by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That sounds exciting! YS will probably celebrate as tradition dictates around here. A bunch of kids find a willing parent (not me) to chaperone a crowd at a beach house for a week. This is how I met my husband 33 years ago!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.