Crab Cake Recipe
  Re: (...)
Hello all, I haven't been here in a l-o-o-ng time. I'm searching high and low for my issue with the crab cake recipe, it's my very favorite. It uses panko bread crumbs, very simple, not a lot of ingredients that I can remember and I think the issue included a chipolte remolaude? Or am I just hoping? Like all the issues of CH the recipes were fantastic, I'll go into the attic next, but if anyone has this will you please post it?
  Re: Crab Cake Recipe by mcddeb (Hello all, I haven't...)
Not sure about the chipotle remolade, but according to the Magazine Recipe Index on my site, it would appear to have been in the April, 1998 issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have the actual magazines, so we'll have to wait for someone else to post the recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by labradors (Not sure about the c...)
Is this it?

Crab Cakes
(Cuisine, April 1998, Issue 8, p. 29)

Makes: 10 Crab Cakes Total Time: 28 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

Melt in a Saute Pan:
3 T. butter

Saute in Butter: “holy trinity”
1/3 cup red pepper, diced
1/3 cup celery, diced
1/3 cup yellow onion, diced

Combine in a Bowl with:
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
1/4 cup scallions, minced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
2 T. minced parsley
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
2 t. lemon juice
2 t. Old Bay® seasoning
1 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
1/4 t. Tabasco®

Add and Gently Mix in:
1 lb. flaked lump crabmeat (3 cups)

Form Cakes and Chill.

Related Recipes:

Chipotle Remoulade

"Picking" the crab meat: Remove all the legs and the two claws. Use the back of a knife to hit right behind pincers just enough to score the shell. Pull out claw meat. With the crab on its back, pry open the apron with a knife. (This is a female.) With your fingers, pull and remove the apron. Your objective is the body. A blue crab’s shell is thin enough to apply pressure on either side and crack it in half. Now, remove the whole body. See the white dead-man’s fingers (gills)? Remove these and the hard sandbag that sits in the center. The vein underneath will pull out easily. Split the body in half to expose lump meat in the body chambers. You can take off the thin membrane cover to make meat removal easier. Here is the treasure — lump crab meat! Remove the lump and back- fin meat with a fork or nut picker. Also remove smaller pieces called flake.

Melt butter in a saute pan.

Saute the “holy trinity” (peppers, onion, celery) 5 minutes, or until tender. Cool slightly.

Combine “holy trinity” with all ingredients, except crab. Gently pick through crabmeat to check for any pieces of shell or cartilage.

Add and gently mix crabmeat into bread crumb mixture.

Form cakes by gently packing crab mixture about 1" thick into a 2 1/2" ring. Don’t pack too tightly. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Broil cakes for 3–4 minutes, or until browned. Turn them over, gently holding cakes with your fingers so they don’t fall apart. Now, finish broiling other side of the cakes for 3–4 minutes. You just want them turning brown and the outside a little crispy. Using a 69¢ ketchup bottle, paint your plates with chipotle remoulade. Place small piles of jicama and carrot slaw near edge. Have all plates painted and “slawed” so they’re ready for the hot crab cakes. Finish garnishing with a twisted lime slice and a few pieces of chive. Are your chives floppy? Here’s a neat trick. Thread each one from the bottom using thin dried pasta (angel hair or spaghettini).

Chipotle Remoulade
(Cuisine, April 1998, Issue 8, p. 29)

Makes: 1 1/4 Cups Total Time: 15 Minutes Rating: Easy

Combine in Food Processor; Blend until Smooth:
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 T. ketchup
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. white vinegar
1 T. prepared yellow mustard
1 T. minced garlic
1 canned chipotle pepper
1 T. adobo sauce from canned chipotles
1 t. salt

Add and Process until Blended:
1/2 cup mayonnaise

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by pjcooks (Is this it?[br][br]C...)
This sounds great. Crab cakes are "trendy" around here now. After I put them on the menu when I was at the Country Club every "good" restaurant in the local area has added them in one form or another to their menus. I did mine with a "Creole Remoulade" and was quite successful with them.

Love a good crab cake and good crab cake "burger" as well. Like to taste the crab as well as the sauce and really hate tasting all of the fillers you find in these dishes oh too often.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by firechef (This sounds great. ...)
Hmmmm....Creole? LOL! You do have your niche!

I'd love to know how these turn out. Jean's Window's recipe was really good, but I need to work on the technique. I figure if I study various successful recipes, I'll get these things "nailed", once and for all.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Hmmmm....Creole? LO...)
While you're playing, Daphne, adding a hard cooked egg (sieved) to any crab cake recipe adds an unbelievable creaminess to the cake.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Hmmmm....Creole? LO...)
It is funny Daphne that my "claim to fame" is Greek and Italian stuff but I do more and more "Creole/Cajun" stuff and normally have as good if not better results. I think with all of the attention the New Orleans area got after Katrina it is making the cuisine of the area more and more popular. I even do a homemade "Creole Steak Sauce" as well...Neat colour and great flavours.

Maybe it is time to broaden the "specialty" on the resume???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by firechef (It is funny Daphne t...)
Thanks Jean, I'll try that next time for sure...makes sense.

LJ, you definitely need to add Creole/Cajun...it does seem to be a passion.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean, I'll tr...)
So it is...the "dream" restaurant is a Cajun BBQ joint done in the "white linen" style. I think it would fly, I really do.

Some day........
  Re: Re: Crab Cake Recipe by firechef (So it is...the "drea...)
You hold that dream!
Daphne