Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port
  Re: (...)
The Empress of the North is sailing into port from the east right now. It's still dark and all their lights are on and it's just so beautiful to see coming into view. She will be in port just today and I guess the passengers are planning a ferry trip over to Victoria for the day and then sail for Seattle tonight. I just love living here and seeing all the ships from all over the world go by.

As soon as his retired highness is up, we're off for a week to eastern Washington - this coming weekend is a barrel tasting event AND the weather is suppposed to be better there!!

Hopefully my laptop will work better in Yakima than it did in Portland - wow, talk about withdrawals. Hope everyone has a good day - dinner tonight for us will be leftover Peking Duck a friend and I split for lunch yesterday - oh boy, was it good, but it could have fed four! We have a new little Asian Bistro in town and they are (so far) doing a great job.

What a mishmash this post is - I feel like I just wrote a letter to a friend... Bye.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by cjs (The [i]Empress of th...)
I know what you mean about watching the ships. I used to sit on my brother's deck (Vancouver Island), and watch the cruise ships go by. With their spotting scope (she's a wildlife biologist and uses it in the field), I used to be able to actually see the people on deck.

A barrel tasting event sounds great! Have fun, and good luck with the laptop!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by Lorraine (I know what you mean...)
I sure miss watching the ships come in at Southport! I could sit at the waterfront and watch for hours, especially in the spring and fall months when the Big guys moved their yachts to and from Florida. There have also been several restored old sailing vessels come in! Those were the best! We have several friends that are river pilots and they'd always tell us when something cool would be coming in.

Have fun on your tasting tour! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by Gourmet_Mom (I sure miss watching...)
Makes my rubber ducky in the tub seem so..inept...
  Re: Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by DFen911 (Makes my rubber duck...)
the laptop works....whoopee.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by cjs (the laptop works.......)
The neighbor has a boat that has two oars that he uses for fishing...I guess I am surrounded by boats if you count the river boats on the Mississippi and the Missouri Rivers to the east and west.

When we lived in Phoenix I used to say I lived on the beach since it was all "sand" from Phoenix to the Pacific...it was just a longer walk to the shore from my house thats all...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by firechef (The neighbor has a b...)
When we lived in Panama City, we could see the ships line up to go through the canal. Fisherman would knock on the door with freshly caught fish, spiny lobster and some weird shellfish that was somewhere between a crab and a lobster.

Sally
  Re: Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by lxxf (When we lived in Pan...)
LJ, you come here, I'll see that you fish to your heart's content!

Yipppeeee! Jean is online...LOL!

Sally, that is just too much! I miss living in a fishing village!!!!!!!! Hubby can get it when he's there at work, but his buddies insist on "giving" it to him and he feels like he's taking advantage....even though he tries to pay for it. ARRRRGGGG!!!!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Paddlewheeler Coming Into Port by Gourmet_Mom (LJ, you come here, I...)
It rains much more here and I'll be needing a boat...paddlewheeler, steamship, row boat you name it I'll take it.

If it keeps raining they will be able take care of any rice issues by growing it here...dang corn and soy fields are so wet they look like bogs...wonder how long it will be before they blame the weather in Iowa on the rising fuel costs since we can't get the corn in the ground for the ethanol blend fuels?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)