Chicken Livers Stroganoff
  Re: (...)
Tracie (madmax) asked me for a liver recipe the other day and it ended up getting me in big trouble! When I mentioned it to Roy, he complained that it had been forever since I made it for him and I poooh-poohed that it had been forever as he is known to exaggerate....well, I only made it once and by the looks of the recipe it was in 1998!! Guess he has a legitimate gripe.

Don't remember if I've ever posted this on here, but it really is good and we don't see many liver recipes - anyone else have some we can add to the liver thread????

CHICKEN LIVERS STROGANOFF
Serving Size : 6

3 pcs bacon
1 lb chicken livers
1 1/2 cup mushrooms -- sliced
1/2 cup onions -- chopped
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
Parsley for garnish

In a l0" skillet, cook the bacon till crisp. Reserve drippings in pan.
Crumble bacon; set aside.

Cook the chicken livers, cut up, in drippings over med. heat 5 min., or till slightly pink in center.
Remove from skillet & keep warm.

In same skillet, saute the mushrooms & onions 2-3 min.
Remove from skillet & add the sherry, water & chicken bouillon; bring to a boil, cook uncovered till liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup.

Stir together the flour & sour cream; gradually add the hot liquid to mix & return all to skillet.
Stir in bacon, livers & mushrooms & onions. Cook slowly till heated thru - do not boil.

Description:
"a Chef's Journey via an x-son-in-law. '98"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Note to madmax - notice I changed the water and bouillon granules to chicken stock - much better!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by cjs ( Tracie (madmax) ...)
I just may have to make this! Paul loves livers and I have refused to make him any since I DON'T care for them. Maybe I'll do this for his for buying my new stove. He can eat then all by himself unless someone else here likes them.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by cjs ( Tracie (madmax) ...)
Well, I am not fond of liver. It's one of those things I make every once in a while to see of I STILL don't like it. I'd make this.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by luvnit (Well, I am not fond ...)
Chicken livers are a who lot different than beef liver Laura.

Have you ever had Rumaki? It is traditionally chicken liver and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon and served as an appetizer. Most people do not realize that they are eating chicken livers...

My mom's husband makes a chicken liver pate that is to die for...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by firechef (Chicken livers are a...)
Well, Jean, this isn't one of my favorites. My mother LOVES gizzards (I hate those too), and livers were served fried along with gizzards at my house as a kid. I just never liked the texture. Like Laura said, maybe I should try them again, to see if my taste has changed. This would be an application that would appeal to me, so maybe..... William, on the other hand, LOVES them! So I may have to give this one a try.

I guess I should add that the gizzards, livers, and hearts were cooked just like the fried chicken or stewed for pastry. Then there's the typical giblet gravy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by Gourmet_Mom (Well, Jean, this isn...)
That's what I like about everyone here...we are all willing to try things again and again and we will go back to the things we didn't like growing up...even I have...had rabbit last week...was hard to swallow but I lived. A little sad as thoughts of Hawkeye my pet bunny in college were flashing through my mind but I ate on and enjoyed the meal.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by firechef (That's what I like a...)
Never like chicken livers either. My mom used to make rumaki. Same texture. I would still try it again. It's been a long while. I mean I know I wouldn't spit it out or anything. I don't hate the stuff, I just don't like it. Anyway, now it seems that even the stuff we don't like, costs just as much as the stuff we DO like. If liver were $.10/lb, we'd have it a lot more. I haven't checked the price lately, but last time I checked was no different than the rest of the meat.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by luvnit (Never like chicken l...)
I've never been a liver fan either - but we're all on the same page here, our tastes sure do change and modify over the years.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by luvnit (Never like chicken l...)
Liverwurst I can tolerate, and actually enjoy, in small quantities, and the foie gras in a beef Wellington doesn't bother me, since there are so many other flavours along with it. Otherwise, I don't like it at all, and whenever someone offers me liver, I usually just say, "No thanks: I already have one."

Oddly enough, I do think that the aroma of liver and onions, as they are frying, is wonderful, even though I don't care for the taste of the finished product.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chicken Livers Stroganoff by labradors (Liverwurst I can tol...)
Funny you say that Labs as I like the taste and get nauseated at the smell and do not really like the texture either...like the taste though.