Bocci
  Re: (...)
Had an interesting appy yesterday at one of the wineries - bocci, a round of bread dough wrapped around a meatball and a little cheese and marinara sauce. It's served warmed with more marinara sauce served over. If they'd made a better marinara sauce this would have been wonderful. Sure worth playing with.

This bocci is very like Beerox (bierox) that I've been making for years, but the filling is burger (w/a little sausage), cabbage, onions, seasonings wrapped in a bread round. Before we knew much about cholesterol and all that cr*p, the beirox top was dipped in bacon grease and baked on a b. sheet schmeared with a little more bacon grease - absolutely delicious!

Has anyone heard of Bocci? I can see where it got it's name, 'bocce' in Italian means 'cup' so stands to reason. But, it surprised me that no recipes show up on a search.

This drink is the only recipe I could come up with googling "bocci recipe" -

Bocci
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz. Amaretto
6 oz. orange juice
dash of soda water

Directions: Fill highball glass with ice. Add Amaretto and Orange Juice. Stir well. Splash on club soda and serve.
Serves: 1
Type: alcoholic mixed drink
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bocci by cjs (Had an interesting a...)
Hi Jean

Is your Beerox recipe like the Runsa from Nebraska?

Please Share?

thanks

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Bocci by mjkcooking (Hi Jean[br][br]Is yo...)
yes - Runza is another version - here's mine.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BEEROX

Bread dough ready to use
1 lb. Ground Round (add a Portion of Sausage if Desired)
1/2 head medium-sized cabbage -- shredded
1 medium onion -- chopped
Recently Added a Sprinkle of Red Pepper Flakes
2 cloves garlic -- minced
----
A mixture of melted butter & oil or melted bacon grease

Sauté the beef, cabbage, onions and garlic until beef is not longer pink and the vegetables are soft.

Roll or pat out a circle of dough (about 2 - 2 1/2 oz. for each) 3 - 3 1/2" in diameter and about 1/4" thick. Lay in the palm of your hand and put about a tablespoon of the meat mixture in the middle. Bring the edges of the dough up and over and seal completely.

In a baking pan, liberally coat the bottom with butter/oil mixture or bacon grease; put the beerox smooth side down, then turn over and place touching each other in the pan. Repeat for all the beerox.

Bake in an 375° F. oven for 15-20 minutes until rolls are golden brown. Remove beerox from baking pan and let cool on a baking rack if not eating immediately.

They freeze beautifully and can be enjoyed hot, room temperature or cold.
-----
Testers - this is the first time I've tried to write this recipe down, so please any help in this area will definitely be appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I never saw this recipe written down until I finally decided it needed to be - so, I have no idea of the correct spelling - over the years, I have run across 'Beirox' and 'Runza' which are so similar to the beerox I was taught to make. Whatever it's called, my family never tired of eating these little goodies - and they are just as good cold as hot. In recent years I've been brushing them with a mixture of butter and vegetable oil, but years ago they were the best dipped in bacon grease before baking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean that drink just proves that we NEED to have a bottle of Amaretto on hand - that sounds like a nice cocktail in the afternoon.

I will also be sure to try the Bierox recipe - it looks like a fun thing that I could keep on hand in the freezer "in case" someone drops by.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bocci by Harborwitch (Jean that drink just...)
great for lunches also....
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

...bocci, a round of bread dough wrapped around a meatball and a little cheese and marinara sauce.

Sounds good, and if there are any left over, they can be used for lawn bowling.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bocci by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Marye, do you have a recipe for runsa (runza)? I made them one time and if I remember correctly ( ), they were made oblong - kind of like a miniature hot dog bun size. How do you make them? Beerox that I was taught to make look just like a dinner roll.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bocci by cjs (Marye, do you have a...)
"Beerox "

I've always wanted to make these. Can you make them small for apps? they sound so good!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Bocci by Lorraine ("Beerox "[br][br]I'...)
Hi Jean

You know I haven't made Runza - just tasted them - had a restaurant here in
town that used to make them, and have a friend who makes them with Cabbage and
and they are made in the long twinkie size. They are so good.

I did a google seach Beerox /Beirox and ready about them being popular
in the Dakotas

I do have a Recipe that I made many times for Russian Hambergers.
which has Saurkruat and Ketchup and Mustard and Onion in them and
bake round on the cookie sheet - my family really liked them.
I will be glad to share.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Bocci by mjkcooking (Hi Jean[br][br]You k...)
please do post the recipe.

Lorraine, I've never made them as a party food, more of a family comfort food, but why not.
www.achefsjourney.com