Red Velvet cupcakes
  Re: (...)
I have lost my magazine that had all of the great cupcakes in it. I found the recipe for the Italian Creme Cupcakes in the message boards but can't find the recipe for the Red Velvet ones. Does anyone have it? Thanks in advance!
  Re: Red Velvet cupcakes by NanHoff (I have lost my magaz...)
Welcome to the forums! The Red Velvet cupcakes must be in a newer issue than what they (the powers that be) have entered into the archives. Therefore, someone will have to type it in for you - not a problem, except we are out of town and I don't have access to my magazines. Sorry - I'll try to look for this thread when I get home.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Red Velvet cupcakes by cjs (Welcome to the forum...)
Thanks so much!
  Re: Re: Red Velvet cupcakes by NanHoff (Thanks so much!...)
Well I just checked the members plus page and it wasn't there. I'll check my mags and see if I can find it
  Re: Re: Red Velvet cupcakes by DFen911 (Well I just checked ...)
Found it

Makes about 2 dozen
Total time - 2 hours

Whisk Together

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 T cocoa powder
1 1/2 t Each of Baking soda, table salt, and instant expresso powder

Blend; Add

2 C sugar
3 eggs
2 C vegetable oil
2 oz. red food color
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Mix in -

1 1/2 C buttermilk
1 1/2 t. white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350; line 2 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
Blend sugar and eggs in a bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until ribbons form, about 5 minutes. With mixer running, add oil in a stream until blended. Mix in food color and vanilla until incorporated.
Mix 1/2 dry ingredients into butter mixture, followed by the buttermilk and vinegar, then remaining dry ingredients; blend just until incorporated. Fill liners to the top with batter and bake until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool cupcakes in the pan for 20 minutes and transfer to rack, then when cool, frost with the icing.

Icing -

Classic White
Makes about 8 cups
Total Time - 20 minutes plus chill time

Whisk together; cook:

2 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup all purpose flour

Cream; Add

2 1/2 cups sugar
5 sticks unsalted butter, softened (2 1/2 cups)
1 t. vanilla

Dust with cocoa powder

Whisk milk and flour together in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes, whisking often. Boil 1 minute to eliminate the starchy taste of the flour, whisking constantly. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it on to the surface to prevent skin from forming; chill until cold.

Cream sugar and butter in a bowl with a mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and chilled milk mixture beating until consistency of whipped cream, about 5 minutes. Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large straight tip and pipe spirals onto cupcakes. Dust with cocoa powder.

Note you can use a big ziploc bag if you don't have a piping bag.
  Re: Re: Red Velvet cupcakes by DFen911 (Found it [img]/ubbth...)
Has anyone made these yet? I need to make cupcakes for Saturday and am looking for some good recipes.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Red Velvet cupcakes by esgunn (Has anyone made thes...)
I haven't - guess we're not much of cupcake folks. But they always look so good in pictures. About the only ones I make are from a carrot cake recipe and cream cheese icing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com