Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna Foo!
  Re: (...)
1 large red beet (about 6 ounces)(I used 1/2 red & 1/2 golden beet)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 fresh hot red pepper, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dry white wine or rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
1 small rhubarb stalk sliced on a diagonal - about 1 cup
1 tbs. sugar
1 small grapefruit - preferably ruby red
1 bunch water cress (couldn't get - used baby greens)
1/4 cup fresh herbs such as cilantro, mint, or basil
1/4 cup citrus vinaigrette (follows)

Wash the beetand cut off the greens. Trim away the top and bottom portions of the beet until just 2" remains. Peel the beet and cut into quarters then cut each quarter into 3 wedges.

Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the beets, return to a boil, and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and dry on paper towels.

Put the oil in a small skillet, add the shallots and hot peppers, and cook over high heat for 1 minute to release the flavors. Add the wine, salt, and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and cool.

Put the cooked beets in a medium bowl, add the shallot mixture, and mix well.

Trim both ends of the rhubarb and peel away the tough outer part. Slice on the diagonal into 1/4" slices. Place in a medium bowl and pour over boiling water to cover, then drain. Return to the bowl and add the sugar.

Supreme the grapefruit into a small bowl.

Pinch off the tough bottom stems of the watercress and discard. Wash the watercress in ice water, lift out and spin dry in a salad spinner.

Mix the rhubarb into the beets and add the chopped herbs. Place the watercress in the center of a large plate. Spoon the beet mixture of the cress and top with the grapefruit segments. Spoon the vinaigrette over and serve.

Citrus Vinaigrette

Grated zest of 1/2 orange
Grated zest of 1/2 lime
2 cups orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1 tbs. minced shallots
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
freshly ground white pepper.

Combine the zests, juices, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.

Pour the cooled liquid into a blender or food processor and add the shallots and rosemary. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in hte olive oil, mixing until the vinaigretteis emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Store in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Can be refrigerated about 2 weeks.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna Foo! by Harborwitch (1 large red beet (ab...)
Interesting you posted this. Hubby's employee planted several beet plants and I have no idea how to fix them other than pickled and needed a good fresh use for them. Copied and saved. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna Foo! by Gourmet_Mom (Interesting you post...)
It was really good. She does another beet salad that looks like something I'll have to make - soon!

It's from my new favorite cookbook - Fresh Inspiration by Susanna Foo. Too many yummy things to list right now!
  Re: Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna by Harborwitch (It was really good. ...)
I like that "fresh" part. With the garden going well so far, I'm hoping for a lot of "fresh" inspiration. I may have to check this book out.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna by Harborwitch (It was really good. ...)
Sharon, how do you decide what is your "favorite" recipe since you cook so darned many different things?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna by Gourmet_Mom (I like that "fresh" ...)
There are just so many recipes in it that I'm dying to cook, and they're almost all really light and if not light very very flavorful. I may have to get her other cookbook too. I love the way she uses very non traditional foods.
  Re: Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna by bjcotton (Sharon, how do you d...)
Okay, Sweetie - my "newest" favorite! This one, Bob and I just sit and drool over the cookbook.
  Re: Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna by Harborwitch (Okay, Sweetie - my "...)
I checked it out at Amazon so I could see what recipes were included...WOW! I think I'll have to get this one. My husband is soo excited...LOL! No really, he will be excited when I try some light fresh dishes for summer.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Beet, Rhubarb, and Grapefruit Salad - Susanna by Gourmet_Mom (I checked it out at ...)
That does sound good, Sharon!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com