Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by Lorraine (I didn't even open t...)
Oh shoot another site to get goodies from...must resist...must not look....DOH! I looked! Double Doh! I ordered!
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by Lorraine (I didn't even open t...)
C'mon,Lorraine - don't be a sissy - and yes, you'll get in trouble also. Maybe some of that will be your birthday present....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by cjs (C'mon,Lorraine - don...)
Jean, did you see the Holiday Brisket recipe at the bottom of that page? OMG! There were others that looked good, too. This is indeed a dangerous site! When things settle down here, I'm going to have to revisit this site with card in hand! Thanks, I think!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, did you see th...)
I ordered this a.m. also - sounds like a fun product. Yes, the brisket looked really good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by cjs (I ordered this a.m. ...)
CJS,

I saw the same episode but didn't watch the specifics. Here is how I make my tomato cornbread.

Special equipment: Get one of those cast iron corn design cornbread trays to bake this in...the presentation is great.

Recipe:
3 C Flour
1 C Cornmeal
1/4 C Sugar
2 T Baking Powder
2 t Kosher or Sea Salt
2 C Buttermilk (don't use the light, you'll be disappointed!)
3 Extra Large Eggs
1/4 to 1/3 C Tomato Powder (this has a very potent tomato taste, so don't overdo it. There are many online stores that supply it - try HarmonyHouseFoods.com)

Mix dry ingredients together, then mix milk and eggs separately. Put dry ingredients in a mixer and turn it on. Slowly add the liquid mix until the dough looks to the consistency you want it. Pour in the cornbread tray and bake on 350 for about half an hour.

Enjoy!
Executive Chef Fred
Fred's Restaurant
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by FredsRestaurant (CJS,[br][br]I saw th...)
Welcome to the forum, Chef Fred! Good to see another new face in the neighborhood. Billy J will be thrilled when he sees your recipe to the cornbread...he whines a lot until someone comes up with a recipe for him.

Sounds like one I'll have to try also. What else do you use the tomato powder for - I'm thinking the list might be shorter of what you can't use it in. Interesting product.

I've already ordered mine thru The Spice House.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by cjs (Welcome to the forum...)
to the top again! Denise had a great idea for using the tomato powder on potato chips!! maybe a little cayenne, garlic powder.....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by cjs (to the top again! De...)
That's funny because Bob and I were discussing ordering some - thought it would be really good in the popcorn hot dog buns with the "Gourmet Garlic" that Billy gave us.

My Mom used to make biscuits with tomato juice for some of the milk. (Bisquick). We loved them - didn't have them often, and I don't think I've made them in a million years.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by Harborwitch (That's funny because...)
Welcome Chef Fred! Thanks for the recipe, it looks great.

I do not whine, much, Jean Well, just until I get what I want Works too!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please by bjcotton (Welcome Chef Fred! ...)
Well I like your "whining" because it's the only way you got dad to make you a meat mallet and of course I had to have one to