Another Old Dog - New Trick
  Re: (...)
Visited Walmart yesterday - not my favorite place in the world, but they have a good supply of RV products. Anyway, this one in Yakima is one of their 'super' (?) stores with a grocery included. Walked around checking the meat section and surprised the heck out of myself by finding one little section labeled "Special Meats."

Wow, they had all kinds of hard to find items, what a treasure. I bought two pkgs. of each - beautiful oxtail and sweetbreads!! My only problem is, I've never bought meat from there before, so don't know what I'm in for, but what the heck.

I didn't know these stores had something like this section - those who have been in the stores, is this common, the special meat section? Have I been missing something all these years?

Now, I'm anxious to get home and play with the sweetbreads - I want to do them exactly like we had them at Bouchon's (I love dropping that name into conversations... ) in Las Vegas. Delectable!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Another Old Dog - New Trick by cjs (Visited Walmart yest...)
Every piece of meat we've gotten at WalMart has been very good. I haven't seen that section in our Super Center; but then . . . ? WalMart, from what I have read, is extremely agressive in safe meat handling and the unprocessed meat there is great. (I still prefer to buy other cuts on sale and grind my own ground meat.).

Have fun!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Another Old Dog - New Trick by Harborwitch (Every piece of meat ...)
thanks Sharon - I'm really anxious to play with these little goodies.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another Old Dog - New Trick by cjs (thanks Sharon - I'm ...)
I've purchased meat from Walmart on occasion and never had a problem. I still prefer to go to a favorite meat store because that's what I've always done, but I'm not opposed to buying from walmart either. We stopped in a new one that just opened recently and I was absolutely amazed at the meat selection. It was much larger than at a regular grocery store. I don't remember if they had a specialty meats section, but they sure did seem to have everything you could possibly think of.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Another Old Dog - New Trick by Mare749 (I've purchased meat ...)
Sorry , Jean, I can't remember the last time I was in a Walmart.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Another Old Dog - New Trick by cjs (thanks Sharon - I'm ...)
I've had really good and really bad strips and ribeye steaks from Sams. Then they had excellent wild caught salmon!! I don't know what to suggest. Shoot craps--try it.

Now, I love raw oysters, fried oysters, mountain oysters. I detest liver and foie gras--should I give sweetbreads a try--texture is big with me--I am a biochemist by training--I've had histology (study of tissue )--few biochemists eat liver. How about sweetbreads?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Another Old Dog - New Trick by Old Bay (I've had really good...)
I wish I could help out, but none of ours here are the "super" wal-marts. But be sure to let us know how they were!

MmMm oxtail soup....
  Re: Re: Another Old Dog - New Trick by DFen911 (I wish I could help ...)
Bill, I surprised myself at how much I liked them when I tried them. They were very crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside - I'm trying to compare the texture to something, but I can't think of anything, unless it would be fried cheese.
www.achefsjourney.com