Popcorn Bread Review
  Re: Re: Popcorn Bread Review by Mare749 (Yummm-Yummm!!! Nothi...)
Just a question for those who have made this: how did you handle the liquid mixture in the recipe? In particular, I noticed that it calls for BOILING water but then COLD milk. The boiling water could, of course, kill the yeast, but the cold milk would help to cool down the water. The recipe never gives any suggestions for checking the temperature of the mixture, so I was wondering if any/all of you followed the recipe EXACTLY.

Since I only have instant yeast (the only thing available here), and must mix it in with the dry ingredients, I always have to make some adjustments to yeast-based recipes, so I didn't want to take a chance on using boiling water, so I heated the water to just a little beyond the usual range, then check the temperature again, after adding the milk. The dough rose very well, so it obviously worked for me, but I was curious what the rest of you had observed with regard to the yeast and the boiling water.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Popcorn Bread Review by labradors (Just a question for ...)
I just assumed the cold water would bring the water to the correct temp. Mine wasn't really boiling, just heated it in the microwave and that seemed to work also.

My biggest problem was the darn popcorn getting electrically charged in the processor!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Popcorn Bread Review by cjs (I just assumed the c...)
Water at 212, actually more like 210 minus cold milk which is probably at 40 degrees brings the liquid to 170. To me that is still to hot for the yeast. I was taught the liquid should never be hotter than 140. But if you add in the sugar that is room temp that will bring it down a couple, but still too hot.

Interesting it all seems to still work out. I was going to make a batch yesterday but got so busy packing, unpacking, repacking (will explain later with pictures lol) that I just didn't have the energy.
  Re: Re: Popcorn Bread Review by cjs (I just assumed the c...)
That part cracked me up!!! It was interesting trying to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Now my only question for you is; did you put a big ol' knob of truffle butter in the middle of the burger????? Truffled cheese on top??? Mr. Bush will be so proud of me - I'm going to spend some of our "incentive check" on truffle salt!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Popcorn Bread Review by Harborwitch (That part cracked me...)
Oh Sharon, we should start a thread on how we're all going to help the economy!!

No big knob, but I brushed the tops with the oil and sprinkled truffle salt on that. But, all the flavors in the burger completely hid the truffle. So will do just some plain buns next time...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Popcorn Bread Review by cjs (Oh Sharon, we should...)
Well, another use for this great little bread - had couple three slices left so made some croutons with a little garlic oil...winner!! great flavor.
www.achefsjourney.com