Baked Beans recipe needed
  Re: (...)
Hi all. I am incharge of bringing baked beans on Mothers day - and a fruit salad. I don't like baked beans, so I have never made them. Does anyone have a good recipe? Not spicy but lots of flavor? I can cook them in the crock or bake them, but was hoping to reheat/keep warm in a crockpot for serving - will this work?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Baked Beans recipe needed by esgunn (Hi all. I am incha...)
I wish I had a recipe to share, but I've never made baked beans. Hopefully a good one will be posted we can both use
  Re: Re: Baked Beans recipe needed by DFen911 (I wish I had a recip...)
I like them, but not enough to make them for myself. The times that I've made them for someone else who requested them, I've just started with canned, Bush's or Grandma Brown's baked beans, then doctored them up with some bacon, brown sugar, and K.C. Masterpiece BBQ sauce, and people always love them. Don't ask me for measurements or proportions, though: I just eyeball it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Here's one I've made and really liked. From Gourmet Special Edition, Montreal.

Serves 8 as a side dish.

These beans boast two staples of Montreal cuisine, sweet maple syrup and rich salt pork.

Pick over and rinse 1 lb dried navy beans (2 1/4 cups). Soak in cold water to cover by 2 inches at least 8 hours. Drain. Put oven rack in middle in middle position and preheat to 350F. Rinse and pat dry 1 ( 1/4 lb) salt pork ( rind discarded ), then cut into 3 pieces.

Put beans and pork in an ovenproof 3 quart heavy pot with a lid. Add 4 1/2 cups water, 1 large onion finely chopped ( about 2 cups ), 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1/2 cup grade b Maple Syrup, 1 Tbsp dry English Mustard ( preferably Colman's), snd 1 Tsp freshly ground black pepper, and stir to combine. Cover pot and bake until beans are just tender, 3 to 4 hours. Reduce oven temperature to 325, Remove lid. Bake beans, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, but beans are still saucy, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more. Remove from oven, and stir in 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar, and 1 tsp salt, or more to taste.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Baked Beans recipe needed by Lorraine (Here's one I've made...)
Erin, here's a family favorite, super easy and very tasty - not an authenic baked bean like Lorraine's (which sounds very good!), but great all the same.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BUD'S BEANS
Serving Size : 10

2 Tbsp butter
1 lb hamburger -- browned in above butter
1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp mustard
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 1-lb. cans B&M Baked beans
16 ounces Red Kidney beans -- drained

Sauté the hamburger in the butter until no longer pink.
Add the rest of the ingredients; mix all together in an oven-proof dish.
Cover and bake at 400°F. for 30-40 minutes.
---------

Or this is another family favorite –

SURRY HILL BEANS
Serving Size : 10

28 ounces can of pork and beans
16 ounces kidney beans
16 ounces butter (or lima) beans
3/4 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves grlic, minced
8 slices bacon, diced

Drain off most of the liquid from each can of beans.
Place all the beans in a large mixing bowl.

Combine the catsup, brown sugar, dry mustard and vinegar and add to the bean mixture.
Sauté the onions, garlic and bacon until onions are soft; drain off 3/4 of the fat.
Add to the casserole, cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350° F.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I agree with Labs on baked beans. Start with a good quality brand and doctor them up.
Erin, here's one that I like and it does seem to go over well with everyone.

Hearty Bean and Ground Beef Casserole

Serves 10 – 12

½ pound bacon fried crisp
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound ground beef
¾ cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
2 tsp vinegar
few dashes garlic powder
1 15 ounce can white northern beans
1 15 ounce can black beans
1 15 ounce Bush’s Original baked beans

Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until brown. Remove fat and sauté ground beef and chopped onions. Add remaining ingredients except beans. Drain black and white beans. Mix beans and Bush’s beans with other ingredients in large casserole. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Improves with age and can be baked ahead and reheated.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Baked Beans recipe needed by Dismc (Erin, here's one tha...)
I hang with Labs and HC. I use Bush's Baked Beans and doctor to taste. Usually with a little catsup, brown sugar, mustard, maple syrup or unsulfered molasses and crisp, chopped, bacon.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Baked Beans recipe needed by bjcotton (I hang with Labs and...)
Am I the only one who makes them from scratch?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Baked Beans recipe needed by Lorraine (Am I the only one wh...)
Yep

I buy remade and add things to them