A first for me
  Re: (...)
Ok so tonight got a wild hair and decided to try something totally different. I have only had them twice. Scallops.

At the store they had some beautiful fresh scallops. So I bought a 1/2 dozen, since I know hubby doesn't care for them. I put a bit of salt and pepper on them and seared them off in butter/olive oil. Then in the same pan made a quick lemon butter sauce.

Holy cow these were so tasty! For hubby I did a balsamic grilled halibut, grilled corn on the cob and a nice salad.

So...what other scallop recipes are out there lurking?
  Re: A first for me by DFen911 (Ok so tonight got a ...)
We love scallops and like to wrap them in bacon (pre cooked a bit) and baste them with a garlic butter sauce while grilling. We also use them frequently in K -Bobs with veggies. J.
  Re: Re: A first for me by Lvtahoe (We love scallops and...)
There are TONS of ways to do scallops. I'll go look and see what I have and try to post some within a day or two...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: A first for me by DFen911 (Ok so tonight got a ...)
Love scallops, but here in the Midwest they are expensive and not always so great. I buy them frozen. There are quite a few recipes in C@H using them. I went to Cooking the World and only got two listings for them from that search. Others will surely come along and give you recipes!
  Re: Re: A first for me by HomeCulinarian (Love scallops, but h...)
This is my all time favorite scallop recipe. I haven't made it in a long time but I have to believe I did not use that much butter.

Sea Scallops With Cilantro Gremolata And Ginger Lime Beurre Blanc

For gremolata
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 small garlic clove, minced
Finely grated zest of 1 small lime (3/4 teaspoon)

For beurre blanc
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
White pepper

For scallops
24 sea scallops (1 1/2 lb), tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary
1 tablespoon olive oil

Make gremolata:
Stir together cilantro, garlic, and zest in a small bowl.
Make beurre blanc:
Simmer shallot and ginger in lime juice and wine in a small heavy saucepan until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
Whisk in butter 1 tablespoon at a time, adding each new piece before previous one has completely melted and occasionally lifting pan from heat to cool mixture. (Sauce must not get too hot or it will separate.) Pour sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl (discard solids), then return to cleaned pan. Season with salt and white pepper and keep warm while cooking scallops.
Sauté scallops:
Pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté scallops, turning once, until golden and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes total.
Sprinkle scallops with gremolata and serve with sauce.

Sauté scallops:
Pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté scallops, turning once, until golden and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes total.
Sprinkle scallops with gremolata and serve with sauce.

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
  Re: Re: A first for me by Trixxee (This is my all time ...)
OH Trixxee, that sounds just decadent!! and so good! Scallops are one of our favorite foods.

OK,Denise, are you ready?? here are a few we really like-

* Exported from MasterCook *

ANGEL HAIR PASTA WITH SEARED SEA SCALLOPS & CREAM
Serving Size : 4

1 1/2 lbs sea scallops
salt and pepper
2 tbsps unsalted butter
1 med shallot -- minced
2 inch ginger root -- peel, sliced thin & julienned
2/3 c dry white wine
2 tbsps white wine vinegar
1 c heavy cream
1/4 c chives -- snipped fresh, or 1/2 cup chopped scallion greens
1 lb angel hair pasta

Heat oven to 200 degrees. Bring 4 qts. water to a boil in pot for cooking pasta.

Sprinkle scallops on both sides w/salt/pepper. Heat a large saute pan over med-high heat till hot.
Add half the butter; swirl to coat the bottom. Continue to heat till the butter begins to turn golden brown.
Add half the scallops, one at a time flat side down, cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent the butter from burning, till the scallops are well browned, 1 1/2 - 2 min.
Using tongs, turn the scallops, one at a time, cook till med-rare (sides firmed up & all but the middle 1/3 of scallop is opaque), 30 seconds to 1 1/2 min. longer, depending on size.
Transfer scallops to warm platter. Cover w/foil & keep warm. Repeat the cooking process w/remaining butter & scallops.

Return the scallop skillet to the burner, reduce the heat to low.
Add the shallot & ginger & cook till the shallot softens slightly, 1-2 min.
Increase the heat to high, add the wine & vinegar & boil, scraping the pan bottom w/wooden spoon to loosen caramelized bits, till the liquid reduces to a glaze, 4-5 min.

Add the cream, 1/2 tsp. salt & 1/8 tsp. pepper, bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat; simmer till the cream reduces very slightly, ~1 min. longer.
Stir in the chives or scallions.

Meanwhile, add 1 T. salt & the pasta to the boiling water. Cook till al dente.
Drain the pasta & return it to the pot.

Add the sauce; toss to coat. Divide the pasta among individual plates, arranging a portion of scallops around or on top of each.
Serve immediately.

NOTE: It's critical for the formation of a good crust to leave the scallop alone once it hits the pan. Turn the scallops once and brown on the second flat side. Tongs are the best tool to use, but a spatula can be used in a pinch.

Be sure to start cooking the pasta while the liquid is reducing. -if using dry.

Description:
"Scallops are seared in butter to form a nicely caramelized crust that contrasts w/the tender interior."

-------

If your husband doesn't care for scallops, you'd probably never make this just for yourself, but maybe for a catering - Billy and I did this one for a fund raiser dinner and it's turned into a family favorite.

SEA SCALLOPS WITH APPLE-CIDER JELLY & CREAMY LEEKS

Recipe By :Chef Jean Denham, CC and Chef Billy J. Cotton

2 cups fresh apple cider
1 large Sweet potato
Vege oil for frying
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 cups chopped leeks
4 tablespoons unslated butter
Kosher salt
black pepper
1 pound sea scallops, sliced in half horizontally
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil

CIDER REDUCTION:
In a saucepan, bring cider to a boil over high heat.
Cook quickly, stirring, till cider is reduced to 1/4 cup.
Set aside; it will form a jelly.

CREAMY LEEKS:
In a pan, bring cream to a boil over high heat.
Cook rapidly stirring often, don't let scorch, till cream is reduced to one cup.
Set aside.

In a skillet, saute leeks in butter over high heat, till golden brown.
Add reduced cream and salt & pepper.
Set aside - but keep warm.

SWEET POTATO CHIPS:
Peel sweet potatoes; then with a peeler, cut wide vertical slices.
(Alternate: slice very thin with a mandoline)
In a large deep skillet, heat vege oil over high heat & fry potatoes till golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and set aside.

SCALLOPS:
In a bowl large enuf to hold the scallops, mix together the mustard, thyme and salt & pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat; sear scallops on both sides.
Remove and keep warm.

TO PLATE:
Place leek mixture in center of each of four plates.
Arrange scallop halves, overlapping around the leeks.
Drizzle the top of the sea scallops with apple cider jelly.
Top the leeks with sweet potato fries.

This course was served with a JOÃO PIRES,
Terras do Sado Vinho Regional 2001

Description:
"Each Sea Scallop was napped with cider jelly and served on a bed of creamy leeks, providing a sweet and savory contrast in a jewel-like collage. Adding to this collage are Sweet Potato chips."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SEA SCALLOPS IN SWEET CHILI SAUCE

MARINADE
2 tbsps Fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp grated ginger root
------
1 lb sea scallops
2 Tbsps vege oil
1/4 c sweet chili sauce
2 Tbsps chicken broth
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro

To make marinade:
Combine all ingred. in bowl & mix well.
Add the scallops & stir to coat evenly.
Drain the scallops & pat dry w/p. towels.

Heat a wide, nonstick frying pan over med. high heat till hot.
Add he oil, swirling to coat the bottom. When oil is hot, add the scallops panfry, turning once, till golden brown, ~ 2 min on each side.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sweet chili sauce and broth.
Bring to simmer over med. high heat & simmer till the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 min.
Transfer the scallops to a serving plate.
Drizzle w/chili sauce, garnish w/cilantro, & serve.

Description:
"Martin Yan's book"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and lastly, I can't find the recipe, but I think all I do is cut an 'X' into a large scallop and pipe in a little pesto. Then just saute up in butter & olive oil - oh, so tassty.

Have fun with this Denise, you may even convert him when he sees some of the ways you fix them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A first for me by cjs (OH Trixxee, that sou...)
The scallops with the apple cider jelly were my faves. Geeze they were good. Hmmmmm might be about time to do those again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: A first for me by Harborwitch (The scallops with th...)
Ok I have put these into my Master Cook. At least MC works at my office

Thank you all. They sound scrumptious!
  Re: Re: A first for me by DFen911 (Ok I have put these ...)
I was hoping Jean would post that scallop recipe we prepared in Colorado. I made it once before we went there but never did get to plate it. My family stood around and everytime something came off the stove they gobbled it up. When I had finished they were all standing around me in a circle and saying, "Is that all there is?"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: A first for me by bjcotton (I was hoping Jean wo...)
Here is one of my favourite scallop recipes...I could live on this one

Andouille Crusted Scallops With Creole Mustard Sauce

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Rendered, chopped Andouille sausage
1/2 cup Bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
10 large Scallops
1/4 cup Creole mustard
1 cup Heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon Freshly-ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Chopped parsley

Directions:

In a skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until lightly browned and fat has rendered. Let cool. In a small bowl combine sausage with breadcrumbs, olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of old bay and mix well.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Butter an ovenproof baking dish just large enough to hold scallops. Sprinkle both sides of scallops with remaining seasoning, and transfer scallops to baking dish. Top scallops with sausage mixture. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until topping is crusty and scallops are just cooked through.

Meanwhile, make mustard sauce: In a small saucepan heat cream with mustard, whisking frequently; do not let mixture boil. Season with pepper and stir in half of chopped parsley.

To serve, divide scallops between plates and spoon mustard sauce over. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)