Body vs Brain
  Re: (...)
I launched into preparing supper for my sis and BIL yesterday, cooking for the first time in a long time. I spent the morning preparing chicken tenders, sautéing them off until almost done, draining and then chilling them to put together and finish later. I went out to the garden and cut some fresh asparagus for a side [oh it's so crisp and good straight from the garden] and got it ready to finish. About three o'clock I made a balsamic/port reduction to drizzle on the asparagus and began the mise en place for the peanut sauce only to discover for some odd reason I just didn't have the get up and go left to put it together. So I called my sis and asked what I should do [feeling a little confused here] and she commented that I'd only been out of the hospital a couple of days, of course I ran out of get up and go. So, she stopped and picked up a commercial peanut sauce and with that I had supper finished shortly after they got home. It just sucks when the body isn't yet ready for what the brain wants to do but I'm getting there!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Body vs Brain by bjcotton (I launched into prep...)
Oh Billy I've been there and know exactly what you mean. I would get so frustrated. But little by little your strength comes back. And just think you energy will come back even more so because you got the problem removed
  Re: Body vs Brain by bjcotton (I launched into prep...)
It just sucks when the brain wants to do what the body has absolutely no intention of doing. I'm learning though - conserve energy before a big event that I want to do and if my body wants a day off afterwards it's okay! I hate it!! I'm so used to pushing to the finish line - so I know how you feel.

Hey, that was pretty ambitious for the first meal - post op! Wish I'd been there.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Body vs Brain by Harborwitch (It just sucks when t...)
What amazes me the most about this post - reminiscing a little - is how fantastically far you have come in cooking since we all first met!!! You were so apprehensive. I love it for you!!!

But, also know how hard it is to stay down when you finally feel good again! It'll come.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Body vs Brain by cjs (What amazes me the m...)
I understand completely Billy. My step-dad is the same way although the mind is starting to go some as well...and I have days when I can not win against the tremors and just look at the food and the knives and wonder what I did to deserve this kind of torture.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Body vs Brain by firechef (I understand complet...)
I think maybe I should reinstitute my procedure from when I was in the Navy. I would have several meals underway at one time. One day after work I'd chop/slice/cube the meat for a meal that was a couple of days away; chop onions or whatever was needed for the meal the next day; put the finishing touches on the meal for that night. I'd work an hour or two almost every day bringing several meals a step closer to completion. At the end of a meal, I'd make up TV tray style dinners and freeze them. Worked out well for me all those years ago.

LJ, I've pretty much had shakey hands since forever. I was an electronics technician and people wondered how I could solder small components together with both hands trembling. I told them you just had to get them to shake with the same rhythm
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Body vs Brain by bjcotton (I think maybe I shou...)
Good for you Billy! You'll get there, just take your time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.