Creamy Meat Sauce?
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a good recipe for a creamy meat sauce that I can use in my efforts to try to recreate a great dish that is baked and has cheese and tortellini also in it? One that uses cream versus cream of something soup, please. Thanks!!!
  Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by carolekv (Does anyone have a g...)
How does a bechamel sauce sound to you?

BECHAMEL SAUCE (Makes about 1 cup)

1 cup hot milk
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
Salt
White pepper

In a heavy 2- to 3-quart saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over moderate heat, and stir in the flour.
Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Do not let this roux brown.
Remove the pan from the heat and blend in the hot milk.

Then retum to med-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer, still stirring, for 2 or 3 minutes, or until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon heavily.
Remove the pan from the heat, taste and season with salt and white pepper

This is just a basic sauce that you can add any flavoring to - if you add cheese you then have a Mornay sauce (altho, it's usuall Parm or Swiss that's added)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by cjs (How does a bechamel ...)
Here is another idea...

Fettuccine with Creamy Tomato Italian Sausage Sauce Recipe

Ingredients

* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 3 shallots, chopped
* 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
* 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
* 1/2 pound spicy or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
* 1 Tbsp dried sage
* 3/4 pound fettuccine
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Method

1 Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add sausages and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up the sausages a bit, about 5 minutes. Add cream; simmer 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices. Add sage. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

2 Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.

3 Return pasta to same pot; add sauce. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with cheese and serve.

Serves 6.

Adapted from a recipe in Bon Appetit magazine (December 2000).
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by firechef (Here is another idea...)
YUM, LJ, that sound great! Copied and saved for use VERY soon! I haven't had anything with Italian Sausage in a while.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by firechef (Here is another idea...)
Thanks for sharing, I made a copy and can't wait to try it. Joan
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by Lvtahoe (Thanks for sharing, ...)
Oh gosh - I used to make that fettuccine recipe firechef posted. Excellent. Heaven on a plate.
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by Trixxee (Oh gosh - I used to ...)
Carole, I/we forgot to ask what type of meat are you adding to the dish - that would/could make a difference in the sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by cjs (Carole, I/we forgot ...)
I think almost anything could go in a good Bechamel with good cheeses. I do a rigatoni with prosciutto in a Fontina Bechamel. It is a baked dish and a lot of prep but really good.

Creamy tomato based sauces are a bit limited in my opinion but are out there and lets not forget the creamy Vodka/Tomato sauces...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by firechef (I think almost anyth...)
Oh yum LJ! I copied that Fettucinni recipe. I think my BIl is going to have to begin liking cooked tomatoes!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Creamy Meat Sauce? by firechef (I think almost anyth...)
From the way I read the original post, it appears Carole would like a creamy sauce with meat IN it, not a creamy sauce to us UPON meat. The first thing that came to my mind is the following Bolognese sauce. It's not SUPER creamy, and only has half a cup of milk, but you could certainly tinker with it a bit, starting by using heavy cream instead of milk, then by using more cream, if desired, and adjusting the concentrations of the other ingredients as necessary.

Bolognese Meat Sauce
(Serves 6)

Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 4 Tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 Onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp finely chopped pancetta or unsmoked bacon
  • 1 Carrot, finely sliced
  • 1 Celery stalk, finely sliced
  • 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 3 C Lean ground beef
  • 2/3 C Red wine
  • 1/2 C Milk
  • 14-Oz Can Plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1/4 Tsp Fresh thyme leaves
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • Cooked pasta, to serve
Instructions
  1. Heat the butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the pancetta or bacon, and cook until the onion is translucent. Stir in the carrot, celery and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes more.
  2. Add the beef, and crumble it into the vegetables with a fork. Stir until the meat loses its red colour. Season to taste.
  3. Pour in the wine, increase the heat slightly, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 3-4 minutes. Add the milk and cook until it has evaporated
  4. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, and the herbs. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Correct the seasoning before serving on a bed of pasta.
(Source: Pasta - edited by Linda Fraser)

P.S.: This IS a recipe I have tested and used, and I love it. Again, it's not creamy-gooey, but it could be a good base from which to develop something that would bake well with the tortellini.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?