Anything special for tonight?
  Re: (...)
I know I am making my Greek Pasta tonight for the side (main for Holly) and might opening my bottle of Southern Hills Winery Outback Zak but am making a trip a few miles to the west to a new "locally raised only" butcher shop that is old and dingy looking but has great local farm raised meats. The back room looks immaculate but the customer area looks like it could use a good scrubbing but the meat cases and all food surfaces are spotless.

Don't know what I am going to get. Am thinking chicken on the grill or a "light" beef with cherry smoke???? Anyone else doing anything good to kick off the weekend for Mom???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Anything special for tonight? by firechef (I know I am making m...)
I almost was going to make Greek Shrimp Scampi (from Cooking Light) but changed my mind. I'm making chicken milanese, penne w/a little leftover marinara and an arugula salad.
Oh man!!!!!!!!!! We used to have a butcher shop like that but someone bought it and drove it right into the ground. I really miss it!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
That Alfredo sauce sounds so good that that might be on the menu. I've got some lovely baby turnips and baby carrots. Maybe a wine soaked pot roast with those baby veggies and the pasta. I'll see what Bob says he feels like - and if he agrees out comes the pressure cooker!

I wish we could find a butcher shop like that here.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Anything special for tonight? by Harborwitch (That Alfredo sauce s...)
The medical group that was visiting this week, for whom I was helping with translation, has invited me to join them at a restaurant. Since they did the same thing last year, too, I know it will be a special buffet with chicken, pork, and steak with chimichurri (pretty good steak - not what we usually get in the supermarket here), along with various veggies, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anything special for tonight? by labradors (The medical group th...)
Ended up doing a couple of small boneless NY Strips with a dry rub and with cherry smoke and the Greek Pasta...not too bad. The smoking is nice. My maple smoked beans yesterday were wonderful.

Have a black walnut tree coming down and may try cooking with it...???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Anything special for tonight? by firechef (Ended up doing a cou...)
We did the left over thing here. There were two Cordon Bleu and polenta left from last night and a tomato that was getting REALLY ripe...then there was basil from the herb garden.....

Tomorrow is bread and herbs day! I hope to do the Muffeleta sammie thing from the new issue with some fresh baked foccacia. Then there's Lab's popcorn bread to make..................
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anything special for tonight? by Gourmet_Mom (We did the left over...)
Billy, is that the meat market you used to get that wonderful bacon?? That's too bad, if it is.

We're still on leftovers - you know the kind that your spouse says - "Oh please, make this again" - and there's no way in h*ll it can ever be duplicated.

Finished up the spinach salald with the maple dressing - finding it is so good with so many reds.

Big ole BBQ beef ribs with lots of goopy sauce (Raspberry-Chipolte) and little meat on them.

Campanelle with the l/o thinned goat chees, tomatoes, soffritto, crispy prosciutto, capers.... oh my, the flavors were great.

Finally all the equipment is washed and stored and I can choose my birthday dinner menu...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anything special for tonight? by cjs (Billy, is that the m...)
We ate the last of the pasta. I added the chicken to mine, my SIL added the leftover grilled salmon to hers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Anything special for tonight? by Lorraine (We ate the last of t...)
Quote:

...my SIL added the leftover grilled salmon to hers.

Your SIL doesn't happen to be named "PAT," does she? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?