My Mother's Day Present
  Re: (...)
I don't think anybody can beat this one as the most unique, useful, practical......gift! Check it out! I got it Thursday! Hope this works.

[Image: 266f79f4456b.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: My Mother's Day Present by Gourmet_Mom (I don't think anybod...)
How great!! Have you had chickens before? Keep us posted on this project, eager to hear how it works out. Do you have any wild animal issues? Your location looks stunning.

I came home to three peacocks in my front yard the other day. Considering that we live in a subdivision, it was quite a treat. Don't know how to insert a picture or I would.

Enjoy your Mother's Day..J.
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by Lvtahoe (How great!! Have yo...)
Peacocks! WOW! I hadn't thought about that! Only problem is, we would have wild animal issues. I don't think they'd make it running around. I'd love to see them. Posting a picture is really easy. You just upload your pic to a program like photobucket, open the picture, right click on the pic, choose properties, copy the address, and paste the address in the window that pops up when you click on image when you post your message. Sounds complicated, but it's really easy. You'll see the image button on the bottom right when you preview your post....just below the edit box.

I remember having chickens at my grandmother's many years ago. I'm quite intimidated by them though. I was pecked one time and the danger of snakes in the nest was always scary. My mother was surprised to learn I still remembered this. There was also the problem of "stuff" squishing between your toes...EWWWW!

This set up takes care of all of that. If you notice, the nests stick out the back of the coup. There's a lid that flips up and locks so you can retrieve the eggs without even having to enter the coup. There is also a wire top and bottom to take care of predator issues. I'm very excited! We should be able to get our chickens in the next couple of weeks. We are clearing the spot to put the coup now. If things work out, we can expand the coup later. This one has 4 nests. We will probably put a larger pen area around this with a top and bottom so they have more room to roam.
Daphne
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by Gourmet_Mom (Peacocks! WOW! I h...)
I dearly love to have chickens, and a couple goats, a . . . oh well. I don't think the neighbors would be too happy!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by Harborwitch (I dearly love to hav...)
Can you imagine what Joan's neighbors think? I've heard peacocks make almost as much noise as guinea hens...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by Gourmet_Mom (Can you imagine what...)
What a great gift! I wish I could raise some, but when I bought the house I had to sign that I would not keep cows, pigs or goats on the property. WWhat were they thinking, I live in suburbia!!!!!Don't think my neighbours would go for chickens either! Enjoy the fresh eggs.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by Lorraine (What a great gift! ...)
I can't tell you how long I starred at that picture without recognizing it. Well, never having kept chickens, I would never have recognized it, but....being a city girl myself you're a braver girl than I am. Enjoy.

Sally
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by lxxf (I can't tell you how...)
All right now you have a place for me to stay if I ever come and visit...just kidding. I know I'd get a spot behind the chicken coop.

Looks good as I am sure the occupants will as well.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by firechef (All right now you ha...)
Funny aside...I was telling DD about the present and she got really excited about the fresh eggs. Then when I told her what happened to the hens when they stopped laying, she was appauled...LOL! She made me swear that hers would look JUST like it does when she buys it in the store before she saw it! I haven't told her about what happened when we let some of the eggs hatch and some of those cute little babies are males...LOL! I guess I'll save that little tidbit for later. That's my city girl for you!
Daphne
  Re: Re: My Mother's Day Present by Gourmet_Mom (Funny aside...I was ...)
Why does a chicken coop have two doors? Cuz if it had four doors then it'd be a chicken sedan.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life