Potato Scones
  Re: (...)
Billy had asked for the recipe, in French it's Galettes de Pommes de Terre, so I've translated my Tante Juliette's recipe for you. They are so easy to make when you have a cup of leftover mashed potaotoes, and are great heated a bit with butter, jam, mashed strawberries, anything, for a quick breakfast. She usually served them with lunch or dinner, great with baked beans, soup, or stew.

1 1/2 Cup AP flour
1/2 Cup WW flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp butter
1 cup cold mashed potatoes
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 Cup milk
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

If you don't have WW flour, not to worry . You can easily sub all plain flour. Or, try different flours. I used half spelt last time and it was fine.

Mix flour and baking powder,sugar and salt. Cut in the butter until resembles coarse meal. Add the mashed potatoes, the egg, and the milk. Mix well with a fork. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead only to bring together, about 30 seconds.

Divide it in two. Roll each piece out into a circle about 1/4 inch thick, should be about 6 inches in diameter. Cut each circle into 6 to 8 portions, depending on how big you want them.

My aunt's recipe says to cook them on a sheet in a 375 oven until browned. But, I've never seen her cook them like that. Both she and my Mom use a cast iron skillet, or one of their ancient griddles. I cook on a cast iron skilet, no oil, over medium heat ( you may have to adjust the heat, you want them to brown, but not burn, and the middle has to cook). They will get brown spots, and turn dry, then flip them over.

Don't be tempted to use oil or grease. I did that once, and all they did was cook too quickly and burn. The Scottish scones my GrandMother and Mother made were always made this way.

Hope you make and enjoy them!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Potato Scones by Lorraine (Billy had asked for ...)
What is ww flour?
  Re: Re: Potao Scones by DFen911 (What is ww flour?...)
Sorry, whole wheat. I have also subbed spelt.
  Re: Re: Potao Scones by Lorraine (Sorry, whole wheat. ...)
Quote:

I have also subbed spelt.

You have also abbreviated most of what you spelt.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Potao Scones by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Good timing, Lorraine - I have a wedding brunch coming up and I'm thinking of adding some scones to the menu...will give this one a test drive. Thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potao Scones by cjs (Good timing, Lorrain...)
Jean, just to let you know, these are quite, shall we say, rustic. Very unlike the British scones. My Scottish side of the family made these often, but the French side picked up on it. Anxious to hear how the test trial goes.
  Re: Re: Potao Scones by Lorraine (Jean, just to let yo...)
Thanks Sweets, appreciate the recipe...now if Roy would get my rolling pin done ....Oh, hi Jean, didn't see you lurking there
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Potao Scones by bjcotton (Thanks Sweets, appre...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potao Scones by bjcotton (Thanks Sweets, appre...)
"now if Roy would get my rolling pin done "

Trying to make me jealous?? Use an empty wine bottle or a vinegar bottle. Or just pat it out.