Here's The Next Dinner For Review
  Re: (...)
Maryann wanted me to go first on the B'day dinner choice, and since you all have beat us to making darn near every dish in the new issue, I'm suggesting this from Issue #34!! To be reviewed Monday, May 26th.

We haven't done ribs in a while, so here we go -

Asian Lime Ribs
(Cuisine at home, August 2002, Issue 34, p. 15)
Makes: 26 Spareribs Total Time: About 3 1/2 Hours

For the Cucumber Salad—
Puree in Blender:
10 –15 fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 t. fresh ginger, chopped
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes

Toss with:
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)

For Rib Rub—
Combine; Rub on Two Racks of Spareribs:
2 T. ground cinnamon
2 T. kosher salt
2 T. black pepper
1 T. ground cloves
1 T. ground coriander

For the Asian-Lime Sauce—
Stir Together:
3 T. ginger, coarsely chopped
2 T. garlic, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 T. dark sesame oil
1 T. crushed red pepper flakes

Grill; Serve with:
Cucumber Salad
Asian-Lime dipping sauce

Puree in blender the mint leaves, sugar, vinegar, ginger, and red pepper flakes for the Cucumber Salad.

Toss with thinly sliced cucumber. Serve chilled.

To prepare two racks of spareribs first remove the skirt flap from the sinew side of the ribs. This can be grilled. Then, cut off the breast plate and feather bones. This can be grilled.

Remove the sinewy membrane by pulling with a paper towel. Trim some of the unnecessary fat from the ribs. “Dock” the meat with a fork between the bones for extra flavor.

Combine ingredients for rub and apply to ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roast ribs at 250° for about 2 hours. This isn’t an exact science so check the ribs after 1 1/2 hours. The meat should pull away from the bones and the fat should be rendered. Roasting may take longer.

Stir together ingredients for sauce. Brush on roasted racks of ribs before grilling.

Grill over medium-high heat a total of 15 minutes. Serve ribs with Asian-Lime Sauce and chilled mint cucumbers.

Here are [Email]C@H's[/Email] notes on grilling the ribs:
- preheat the grill to med-high
- coat the ribs with the sauce and place on grill
- when they begin to develop a little black char on them, flip and brush again with the sauce.
- repeat this process at least twice so that the ribs become well glazed and nicely charred. This should take only about 15 minutes.
- Allow the ribs to rest 10 minutes before cutting the ribs into serving pcs.

-------

I'm going to only do one rack (half the recipe) of ribs for us. I'm drooling over this recipe
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by cjs (Maryann wanted me to...)
I've been Jonesin' for some ribs - these sound perfect.

That cucumber salad is a favorite around here!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by Harborwitch (I've been Jonesin' f...)
Jean, this sounds like a good choice to me. Will make this for sure and May 26 sounds like a winner.

If we do another dinner after that, my choice is either the gyro sandwiches, or the scallop salad.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by Mare749 (Jean, this sounds li...)
"either the gyro sandwiches, or the scallop salad." - and either sounds great to me!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by cjs ("either the gyro san...)
Jean this looks great. I've not done ribs in a few weeks and I always do them the same way. I've been wanting to play around with new ideas. This should give me a great start.

Maryann, I have been looking at both of those recipes, so I'd be game for either.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by Gourmet_Mom (Jean this looks grea...)
Jean these sound great! I just happen to have some racks of ribs in the freezer. Excellent choice.
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by Mare749 (Jean, this sounds li...)
Excellent choice, Jean, and Maryann, both of yours look good to me, especially the scallops.

Good eatting this month!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by pjcooks (Excellent choice, Je...)
Looks wonderful. Too bad my schedule will not allow me to partake by the 26th. It is all copied and ready for a later date however. Will just have to throw in my two cents worth sometime in the future and "revive a thread" and bring back memories of a good meal...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by firechef (Looks wonderful. To...)
Join in when you can LJ. I'm making the ribs this weekend, then I decided on the scallop salad for the next dinner party, unless someone else with a birthday wants to pick. PJ, what about you, your birthday is before mine?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Here's The Next Dinner For Review by Mare749 (Join in when you can...)
Maryann, you must visit more often - PJ had her dinner just a week or so ago...
www.achefsjourney.com