Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub?
  Re: (...)
Hi guys - I'd like to make this vegetable dish tonight but I don't have any sherry vinegar. I have lots of vinegars but not this one. What kind do you think could work instead?

Sweet, Spicy & Tangy Broccoli
2 heads broccoli, trimmed into florets and steamed for 4 to 5 minutes
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 to 5 long strips lemon peel
1 teaspoon salt

Divide the cooked broccoli into 2 serving bowls.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, brown sugar, and chili flakes until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook briefly until beginning to turn golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the vinegar mixture and salt and simmer 2 minutes longer.

Pour dressing over half the broccoli florets and serve immediately.
  Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by Trixxee (Hi guys - I'd like t...)
From Cook's Thesaurus:

"sherry vinegar = sherry wine vinegar = vinagre de Jeréz = Jerez vinegar = vinagre de Xeres = Xeres vinegar Notes: Sherry vinegar is Spain's answer to balsamic vinegar. It's assertive yet smooth, and great for deglazing pans and perking up sauces, especially those that will accompany hearty meats like duck, beef, or game. The most expensive sherry vinegars are aged for a long time in wood casks. Substitutes: balsamic vinegar OR red wine vinegar (Also add a little sugar if you wish.) OR rice vinegar"

This site is pretty reliable for subs. After reading the notes here and looking at your recipe, the balsamic makes sense. I'd probably give it a shot, but just me. You may want to wait for someone more experienced.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by Gourmet_Mom (From Cook's Thesauru...)
Great, thanks Daphne! You know, I'm serving the broccoli with chicken that has Chinese 5-spice powder on it so maybe I'll go with the rice wine vinegar in this case.
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by Gourmet_Mom (From Cook's Thesauru...)
Daphne, my first thoughts were wine or rice, I didn't realize it was close to balsamic. I'm bookmarking that site, it sounds like a good one. Thank you!

PJ

ETA- hope your dinner is a hit, Trixxee, sounds good 'cept for the broccoli!
PJ
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by pjcooks (Daphne, my first tho...)
the rice vinegar sounds good to me also...and what all is involved with this dish, sounds tasty? - "the broccoli with chicken that has Chinese 5-spice"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by cjs (the rice vinegar sou...)
Here's the recipe. I saw it on the Food Network this morning at 6:30am. Apparently I already had food on the brain! He made both the chicken and broccoli in this episode. It's nothing fancy but it looked really good.

Recipe courtesy Dave Lieberman

1 chicken roaster, about 3 pounds
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
About 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 navel orange, quartered

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Season roaster with salt and pepper inside the chicken's cavity and on its skin. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Rub the chicken all over with the five-spice powder and stuff with 3 garlic cloves and 2 orange quarters. Squeeze the other 2 orange quarters over the chicken and place 1 underneath a leg and 1 underneath a wing.

Roast for 1 1/2 hours until skin is crispy and juices run clear and drumsticks pull away from the chicken easily. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by Trixxee (Here's the recipe. ...)
Perfect for my chicken-lover-thanks for the recipe! Passing it along to son #2.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by pjcooks (Perfect for my chick...)
The recipe sounds great. Thanks! I did a bit of searching, and everything I read leant towards balsamic. I really like the idea of the rice wine.

OT I'm out of Sherry Vinegar also. I bought the last one at Willimas Sonoma, and it darn near broke the bank. But, it was so wonderful, that I don't want to buy a cheap one.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by Lorraine (The recipe sounds gr...)
Nice looking original recipe. As far as the "planed" taste I would have to agree with the Balsamic and "sweet" Red Wine Vinegars. As for a modified taste all your own the Rice Wine Vinegar would give you an excellent dish as well from what I am "reading into" the recipe.

Try it with all on different nights and see how the individual flavours and attitudes of the different vinegars change the outcome of the dish...of course quality vinegars would be a great help for playing with your food like this...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Vinegar - What Kind Can I Sub? by firechef (Nice looking origina...)
Trixxee, thanks so much for posting it - sometimes simple is just simply the best! I've made a few of his dishes before and like them very much.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com