Ladenia (Greek Pizza)
  Re: (...)
I was doing a search for Greek Pizza and found out about Ladenia, there is a video on YOU Tube search for Greek Pizza, then click on The Greek Pizza: Ladenia Recipe with llias Mamalakis.

This is what I got from the video : Mix 400 grams or (3 1/4 c), flour, 1 pkg. of yeast, 1 t salt, add 1 1/2 c warm water. Stir to make a dough. It will be soft, don't add any more flour. Cover and let rest 1/2 hour. Put 1/4-1/2 c olive oil in a 14" -15 "deep dish pizza pan. Put the dough in the pan sort of dimple it, Put red onion on first, then the tomatoes. Try to get all of the juice and seeds out. Sprinkle on some oregano and drizzle with olive oil on top. Bake at 400* for about 45 minutes.

There is a blog called Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska, that has a different recipe for Ladenia.
  Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by Barbarainnc (I was doing a search...)
Hello there, stranger!! Did you ever conquer your quest for, was it danish rolls??? Can't remember...

sounds interesting and I just ran across this variation of a Pizza - Georgian, called Khachapuri that I copied the recipe for and want to make - I'd love to make both of these...

georgian cheese bread
Gourmet | May 2008

In the remote mountains of Georgia, the star ingredient of this bread called khachapuri—akin to pizza—is the firm but creamy salted cow's-milk cheese called sulguni. A blend of Havarti and mozzarella will give you a similar velvety texture.

Makes 1 (11-inch) pie; serves 8

Adapted from Natia Gigani, Caucasus Travel Ltd., Republic of Georgia

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (a 1/4-oz package)
7 tablespoons warm water (105-115°F)
1 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 lb Havarti cheese, coarsely grated
1/4 lb salted mozzarella, coarsely grated
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted

Equipment: a floured pizza pan (at least 12 inches) or a floured large baking sheet

Sprinkle yeast over warm water and stir in 1 tablespoon flour.

Let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes. (If yeast does not activate, start over with new yeast.)

Stir together salt and remaining flour in a large bowl, then stir in egg and yeast mixture to form a dough.

Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and turn to coat with flour, then knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

Form into a ball and dust with flour. Let dough rest in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap, punching down with a wet fist every hour, at least 2 hours and up to 3.

Preheat oven to 500°F with rack in middle.

Turn out dough onto floured pizza pan, turning to coat, then flatten with your fingers into a 7-inch disk.

Toss together cheeses and press into a compact 3-inch ball with your hands.

Place ball in middle of dough, then gather dough up around ball of cheese, squeezing excess dough into a topknot. Press down on topknot with a damp fist to press cheese out from center. Continue to flatten dough and distribute cheese evenly, pressing outward from center, until dough is an 11-inch disk.

Cut a 6-inch X through top of dough to expose cheese. Bake until pale golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Brush surface of dough with butter and bake until golden and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more.

Serve cut into wedges.

Cooks' note: Dough can be made 1 day ahead and chilled in bowl (for a slow rise), covered with plastic wrap.

Punch down and bring to room temperature before proceeding with recipe.

---

I guess most countries have their version of pizza....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by cjs (Hello there, strange...)
I have a big notebook all about Danish and I have made them !!! Now for another quest, Greek Pizza. Finally got some Meltaways all the way from Savages Bakery in Homewood AL to NC. Sure were good, I have 2 left in the freezer.
  Re: Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by Barbarainnc (I have a big noteboo...)
Not sure about this kind of Greek pizza, but I can definitely say that, of all the places I've had pizza in the States, the ones that are Greek owned EASILY had the best pizzas every time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by labradors (Not sure about this ...)
AMEN to the Greek Pizzas. There was a Greek pizzaria in Boone when I was in college. They had the BEST pizzas I've ever had. There has never been anything to equal.

Regarding the above mentioned pizzas....I can't wait to try the Greek pizza. I'm a little intimidated by the "stuffed" one. I'm picturing cheese oozing EVERYWHERE...LOL! But I will give it a try, but on a pan, not my stone...LOL! I don't always get lucky with things that are stuffed.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by Barbarainnc (I was doing a search...)
I found a pan at Amazon, Chicago Metallic Professional Lasagna Pan 14 x 11 x 3 for about $25.00. The sides are higher to make Lasagna or Pizza.
  Re: Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by Barbarainnc (I found a pan at Ama...)
Hey us Greeks taught a lot to the Italians...I'll just leave it at that and go away from this thread.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by firechef (Hey us Greeks taught...)
I made the Ladenia and it was wonderful!!!! The crust was crunchy and so good!! I made the dough, spread some olive oil in the pan, spread out the dough. Let it rise a little, topped it with pizza sauce cheese and pepperoni. I like it, but my hubby likes the crust to be thinner. I'm going to use only 1 t of yeast instead 2 1/2 t. I found a 14 inch deep dish pan that worked just fine.
  Re: Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by Barbarainnc (I made the Ladenia a...)
"14 inch deep dish pan" a typo? I'm glad this came back up, I'm making pizza dough for the freezer today and I just may try one or the other of these. Thanks Barbara.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ladenia (Greek Pizza) by cjs ("14 inch deep dish p...)
Funny this came back to the top. I looked at the Greek Pizza recipe and realized that I make this all the time....I think. Is this what it looked like Barbara?
[Image: focaccia.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Basil Onion Focaccia Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Savory

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 cups flour
2 cups lukewarm water
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon yeast -- instant
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup olive oil -- simmered with basil and onion
1 red onion -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- grated
12 basil leaves -- large
6 cherry tomatoes

Stir 2 cups lukewarm water and yeast in large bowl to blend. Mix in the olive oil, and 2 teaspoons salt. Add 1 cup flour. Using wood spoon, stir vigorously until well incorporated. Add enough of remaining, about 1/2 cup at a time, to form dough that is soft, sticky and not completely smooth, stirring vigorously until well incorporated. Oil large bowl. Scrape dough into oiled bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. For do-ahead version: Chill dough overnight. Allow dough to come to room temperature in warm draft-free area before proceeding. For same-day version: Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes (do not punch down dough).

In a saute pan, carmelize onions with half the basil leaves. When onions are carmelized, remove them. Set oil and onions aside to cool.

Lightly oil 15x10x1-inch baking sheet. Slide out dough onto prepared baking sheet (dough will be soft and will easily slide out onto sheet; do not punch down dough or knead dough). Gently pull and stretch dough so that dough almost covers baking sheet. Press fingertips all over top of dough to form indentations. Brush top of focaccia with the herbed olive oil. Sprinkle with onions, tomatoes, basil, parmesan, and coarse salt. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm draft-free area until puffed, about 30 minutes for refrigerated dough and about 15 minutes for room-temperature dough.

Meanwhile, position rack in center of oven and preheat to 450°F. Bake focaccia until deep golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool.

Description:
"You can use any kind of topping you want. Even the herbed olive oil can be changed to something like rosemary or garlic herbed olive oil. Just change the basil leaves to rosemary or garlic. You can make your own herbed oil or you can buy it."
S(Internet Address):
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 186 Calories; 10g Fat (47.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 210mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fat.

NOTES : I don't think I'll use all the herbed olive oil next time, maybe a little more than a 1/4 cup. I sauteed the onions and some extra basil leaves in the oil, then removed them when carmelized. The directions are not according to the original. It required kneading three times. I felt this would make it too tough. I just punched it down and folded it in on itself like an "envelope". I also ground some pepper over the top.
I've made this often and enjoyed it every time. The last time I made it I used red pepper julienned and sauteed with the onions. Very good!

Note from Max- you can bake and freeze whole sheets then defrost, rebake and serve.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.