Corn Stock!!
  Re: (...)
They did have corn at the store tonight. It said "Fresh", but when it's shipped in from another country, you know it's a bit long in the tooth. I bought 8 of them, only ate one, so, what to do with the rest?? I cut the kernels off the cobs to save. Then I thought, Corn Stock! It's Jean's recipe (or Kelly's), either way, it's on the stove simmering. The house smells wonderful. So, if corn is on your future menu, save the cobs and make stock.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Corn Stock!! by Lorraine (They did have corn a...)
Okay, this sounds very good, but what do you do with it, make corn chowder? I've never made a vegetable stock before.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Corn Stock!! by Mare749 (Okay, this sounds ve...)
I remember the corn stock! I'm hoping to make my own stock to stock this year....if only the corn makes! If I remember, you guys did all kinds of things with this stuff! I can't wait to make some clam chowder with it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Corn Stock!! by Gourmet_Mom (I remember the corn ...)
Hey Lorraine, how about this recipe of Jean's or Kelly's...not that we see much corn around here ya know.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Corn Stock!! by firechef (Hey Lorraine, how ab...)
I haven't had any corn stock in the freezer for months! It's great in soups, use in quinoa, couscous, rice, tried in polenta, but was redundant... even custards. Anything you'd use stock/broth in that goes with corn flavors - wonderful! Even a cup heated and just drink it ain't bad.

Sweet Corn Stock - Kelly Johnson

1 Lg Onion,rough Cut
1 Carrot, Rough Cut
2 Celery Stocks, Rough Cut
15 -20 Corn Cobs, Kernels Removed and Reserved
6 -8 Fresh Sprigs of Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tsp Whole Pepperorns
2 T. Butter
1 Gal Blond Chicken Stock, Veggie Stock or Water

In a 3 gallon stock pot, add the butter and sweat the celery, carrots and onion.
Add the corn cobs, herbs, peppercorns and stock or water & bring to a simmer
Simmer 45 minutes if you use stock and 1 1/2 hours if water is used.
Strain, season, degrease and cool.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn Stock!! by Mare749 (Okay, this sounds ve...)
Thanks for posting it , Jean. I didn't have many cobs, but, I'll have enough stock to make salmon corn chowder. I've used it in soups alot. The one I liked best was a soup / stew that has chicken, chickpeas,coconut milk ,cumin, coriander, turmeric etc.