OT - Cancer patient update
  Re: (...)
That cancer patient I mentioned a while back is going to need to go back to the States, again. I have posted more details in the forum on my site.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT - Cancer patient update by labradors (That cancer patient ...)
Labs, my prayers go with you and your patient. God speed!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT - Cancer patient update by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, my prayers go ...)
Continued thoughts of healing and Prayers for the same...

On a happy but worrisome note, a friend of the family went to their family doctor a few weeks back and was immediately sent to the hospital for tests. She was told she had TERMINAL LUNG CANCER after going in for a chest cold that had been getting a bit worse. She was sent to Rochester, MN (Mayo Clinic) for more tests. She had already been told she had only months to live by the doctors at the local hospital. As a precaution she was started on a bunch of medications that included a heavy duty anti-biotic. When she got to the Mayo Clinic a couple of days ago she told them she was feeling a bit better. They ran a few tests and told her that she should be as the anti-biotic had done wonders for her pneumonia! She does NOT have terminal lung cancer and will continue to live for quite some time to come pending any unforeseen misfortunes...

Sorry had to vent about what is a common case of "you have got to be kidding" from our local doctors. Now you know why we drive 2 hours one way to go to the doctor in this house...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: OT - Cancer patient update by firechef (Continued thoughts o...)
We have spent the last year at M.D. Anderson in Houston. They do not let you get depressed--Jane has breast cancer, but chemo and surgery we think got it all. Now reconstruction. We met a five year survivor of pancreatic cancer from Santa Fe--tomorrow may have a cure--never give up hope. My prostate cancer seems to be gone (after surgery)--there is always hope--so many prayers from so many places--so many brothers and so many sisters in the lodge--room for all--really quite a group--and so large--just ask--lung cancer can go into remission too--don't lose hope. Regards---Both Of Us

P.S. I can't believe the mis -diagnosis--cancer is not that sinister--so happy for you--great news!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OT - Cancer patient update by Old Bay (We have spent the la...)
It is very good news for her and those of us that care about her. I just have trouble with the hospital that told her she had months to live. They are the same hospital that has told me they have no concrete evidence of me having Testicular Cancer (one of the reasons I was gone for a while) but they STILL want to remove BOTH testes as PREVENTION. I once went to the dentist for a tooth ache that was NOT a cavity but I didn't let him pull all of my teeth just because I had had a toothache...I am a bit ticked at the medical profession right now so please do not mind me. Second and third and even fourth opinions say there is NO EVIDENCE of the cancer except for moderate pain but they ALL want to remove the parts in question as an "ounce of prevention." Seems a bit odd to me...maybe a trip to Houston is in order for a fifth opinion. For some reason the episode of M*A*S*H where Hawkeye and BJ go at it over an operation on a brutal commander that is not needed comes to mind...

Sorry about the rant everyone. Please forgive me but I feel much better and have had the chance to share with those that I respect and care about...all of you here.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: OT - Cancer patient update by firechef (It is very good news...)
Jane asked about having a double mastectomy as prevention--her surgeon at M.D Anderson said "why, we may have a cure in two years and there is no sign of cancer in the 2nd breast". Not to complicate things for you, but that made sense to us. Our best to you. Go to Houston (run!!) and let us know when you come.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OT - Cancer patient update by Old Bay (Jane asked about hav...)
...and I b*tch about my little troubles.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT - Cancer patient update by Old Bay (Jane asked about hav...)
LJ I am so sorry about all the trouble you are going through. I sure as he## would be heading to Texas for another opinion. I used to work for a guy who was told he had inoperable brain cancer by doctors in Reno - go home, get your stuff together and plan your funeral. His family hauled him to Stanford (CA) and the oncologists there said, "No Problem". They performed the surgery (a radical new method) and last time I saw him he was in very good health.

I'm so glad Jane is doing well. The thought crossed my mind - if the cancer came back I'd ask for a double mastectomy. I just got the results of my latest mammogram - no evidence of cancer in either breast!!!!! Yeah, yippppeeeeee. I've told myself that if I go 4 years without the cancer coming back I'll go for reconstruction.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!