For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us
  Re: (...)
Just thought you all might want to take a look here:
https://www.hemispherecoffeeroasters.com/Home_Page.html
We've been getting coffee from them forever and it's some of the best we've ever had.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by farnfam (Just thought you all...)
I have used Gevalia for years. Really love it --they have incredible selections.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by Old Bay (I have used Gevalia ...)
Am I the only one buying the great big 3 pound cans of the cheapest I can find?

I would love to be able to buy good coffee but am spending over $350.00 a WEEK for gas going back and forth to work and day to day activities in one vehicle alone and Holly is putting in another $75.00 a week for her work and needs...had to go back to cheap coffee.

Thanks for sharing though...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by firechef (Am I the only one bu...)
I guess we're just not 'coffee people' - have to have it every morning, but just buy the same brand at the grocery store every week. And I just love the flavor of good coffee, don't want any flavors added to it.

Wait'll Sharon sees this thread! She is the West Coast Coffee Queen!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by cjs (I guess we're just n...)
Nice coffees! I'm with LJ, I keep a 3 lb tin in the coldroom.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by cjs (I guess we're just n...)
Hast someone taken the Queen's name in vain???? Hmmmmmm

Our green beans run about $4 to $5 a pound - This week we're drinking Costa Rican, Conquistador ("Chocolate, nuttiness, strawberry with perfect balance. Very pleasant medium acidity and medium body.") All those flavors are actually IN the coffee - it's like drinking chocolate covered strawberries.

Last week was my all time favorite - Brazil Cerrado, Dry Natural. "Rich and nutty (cashew notes) with nice sweetness and winey hints. Full body and medium brightness, acidity." And it was superb.

We are pretty frugal on most things - and actually if you compare our cost for the green beans to "charbucks" or some of those bagged coffees in the grocery store they're pretty cheap and we know all the important things about the beans and how they are roasted (because we do it ourselves). No additives, no artificial flavors added, and for the most part our selections are organic, fair trade, and grown on family plantations so the $$$ actually go to small family operations - not giant corporate plantations where a small fraction of the beans are Arabica beans and the rest is the cheaper robusta bean (which we could buy green for between 75 cents and a dollar.)

I think we're going to start playing with blends again. Bob knows where he wants the roast to go so that will be fun. When you come down Jean we'll have some special decaf roasted for you!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by Harborwitch (Hast someone taken t...)
Yum, those all sound very good to me Sharon, I like the flavored ones but not for breakfast. I was just thinking you all might be interested because of the way this particular company benefits the poorest communities of coffee growers. With the price of coffee I was surprised to see the folks in Guatameala and elsewhere not reaping much in the way of financial benefits.
Kind of helping others and still enjoying great coffee. Thought Labs might think it was cool too.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by farnfam (Yum, those all sound...)
It is very very cool! One of the main reasons I don't support the big corporate coffee mills. I like knowing that the guy who sells us the beans has actually been to the farms and met the owners - and buys from them or the co-op they belong to. It is such a small thing to do - but if everyone did it??????

I like a "flavored" coffee (usually decaf) at night. When one starts playing with different coffees it is amazing how much flavor there is in the bean itself. We had one that we just freaked out over - blueberries!!! It was so full of blueberry flavor we couldn't believe it.

Coffee is like wine - layers of flavor, roast factors, acidity, and brightness.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by Harborwitch (It is very very cool...)
We like Gevalia's tradional blend very much, but enjoy the single bean varieties from all over the world--it does almost take on wine characteristics in tht form. The flavored coffees are ok, but we don't drink that kind very often.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: For the Coffee Lovers Amongst Us by Harborwitch (It is very very cool...)
Oh Sharon, I heartily agree!!
And I hadn't thought of the flavored decafs for evening, maybe with a shot of vodka added? How excellent.
Paul Kurtz, the man behind Hemisphere Roasters sends us a batch of chocolate covered expresso beans every now and then. How I would love to have a pound of those!!!! I wonder how they make them.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life