Just making Sure
  Re: (...)
The recipe calls for 400 grams of flour, all-purpose. I figured 3 and 1/4 cups.

There are many conversion charts and they have different amounts. Am I right?? Thanks for your help!!!
  Re: Just making Sure by Barbarainnc (The recipe calls for...)
Barbara, I get 4.025 cups. Short of weighing it out, that's my best guess. If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll weigh it out for you.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Just making Sure by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I get 4.025...)
Thanks for helping me out!!!
  Re: Re: Just making Sure by Barbarainnc (Thanks for helping m...)
Wait, Barbara! I just went and weighed it out. 3 cups unsifted equals 432 grams. Looks like we were both wrong. Depending on what you are making, I'd start with 2 cups and go up from there.

But if I was you, I'd go get me a scale. Is this something you have made before? If you are making bread or dough, you should be able to tell when it "gets right".
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Just making Sure by Gourmet_Mom (Wait, Barbara! I ju...)
227g = 8 oz. by weight. (1 cup-unsifed, all purpose = 5 oz. by weight)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Just making Sure by cjs (227g = 8 oz. by weig...)
We got a scale this Spring and I absolutely love it. I can weigh flour in pounds & ounces, grams, or, if I tell the scale what I'm weighing (from a list they provide - compiled by King Arthur flour) it will display the weight in cups and tablespoons. It also has a tare feature, I can weigh out 4 cups of whole wheat flour, tare our the scale, reset the value for white bread flour and weight out 3 cups of that, then tare it, change the value to cornmean, and weigh out 1/2 cup of cornmeal - all in the same bowl. Love it to pieces.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Just making Sure by Harborwitch (We got a scale this ...)
What kind of scale did you get?? Thanks for the info. SmileSmile
  Re: Re: Just making Sure by Barbarainnc (What kind of scale d...)
Escale. King Arthur and Breadtopia.com both sell the model I got - but we found ours at a cookware shop locally. I absolutely love it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Just making Sure by Harborwitch (Escale. King Arthur...)
King Arthur is pricey but since a friend of mine is a "puller" of product from their online store in Norwich, Vermont (about 5 minutes from where I lived as a little tyke) so I would have to say go with them...he needs the money to get by until ski season and cooking hit again for him.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)