Lobster for Labs
  Re: (...)
Hope it's not too late, but just ran across this looking thru recipes and thot of you -

Lobster Tacos with Yellow Tomato Salsa and Smokey Black beans. doesn't that sound delicious????

Chef Dean Fearing's Warm Lobster Taco with Yellow Tomato Salsa and Jicama Salad

I created this dish in early 1986 and it quickly became my signature appetizer on The Mansion on Turtle Creek menu. The name "Lobster Taco" perfectly illustrates the casual elegance that characterizes Southwest Cuisine. Its appeal is rooted in the combination of rich lobster and a simple flour tortilla. The salsa and salad garnishes produce an explosion of color that promises exciting dining.

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:

3 1-pound lobsters
6 6-inch fresh flour tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste
1 cup spinach leaves, cut into fine julienne
1 cup grated jalapeño Jack cheese
Yellow Tomato Salsa (recipe follows)
Jicama Salad (recipe follows)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Fill a large stock pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add lobsters and cook for about 8 minutes or until just done. Drain and let lobsters cool slightly. Wrap tortillas tightly in foil and place in preheated oven for about 8 minutes or until heated through. Keep warm until ready to use.

Remove meat from lobster tails being careful not to tear it apart. Cut meat into thin medallions (or medium‑sized dice, if meat breaks apart).

Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add lobster, season with salt and sauté until just heated through, about 1 minute. Add spinach and wilt in pan, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese until melted and creamy, about 1 minute.

Spoon equal portions of mixture into the center of each warm tortilla. Roll tortillas into a cylinder shape and place each one on a warm serving plate.

Surround the taco with Yellow Tomato Salsa and garnish each side with a small mound of Jicama Salad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yellow Tomato Salsa

Ingredients:

2 pints yellow cherry tomatoes or 1 pound yellow tomatoes
2 small onions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
lime juice to taste
salt to taste
1 tablespoon maple syrup (use only if tomatoes are not sweet enough)

Preparation:

In a food processor, using the steel blade, process tomatoes until well chopped. Do not purée. Combine tomatoes and their juices with onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and salt, mixing well. Add maple syrup, if needed, to balance flavor and sweeten slightly. Do not make ahead. Mixture must be fresh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jicama Salad

Ingredients:

2 small jicama, peeled and cut into fine julienne strips
2 small red bell peppers, membranes removed, cut into fine julienne strips
2 small yellow bell peppers, membranes removed, cut into fine julienne strips
2 small zucchini (only part that has green skin attached), cut into fine julienne strips
2 small carrots, peeled and cut into fine julienne strips
4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste

Preparation:

Combine vegetables, oil, lime juice, salt and cayenne to taste and toss to mix well.
------

Well, the recipe I printed from somewhere has smokey black beans also, but when I googled the recipe the bean dish didn't come up - but, they are easy anyway....

I'm drooling...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lobster for Labs by cjs (Hope it's not too la...)
Sounds decadent Jean!! I'd love to know how much this went for at the restaurant.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
Drooling - pardon me, must wipe my . . . chin, drip.

I think Dean Fearing is the epitome of the "Southwest Chef"! Oh, and the Southern Gentleman!

Those tacos sound so good. Thank you for posting it! And Bob thanks you - I just bought 2 Dean Fearing cookbooks on Ebay. Darn computer just punched the Buy it NOW button all by itself. Bad computer, bad computer.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Sounds great, Jean, but the neighbour who has the lobster tails has a grill that is his pride and joy, so we are being specific in looking for recipes that would grill them.

Here is an interesting one I found.

Because of my going to bed early, last night, to leave for the airport at 2AM, this morning, we have planned to do this either tomorrow or Saturday, so there's still time to decide.

This one also looked good.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lobster for Labs by labradors (Sounds great, Jean, ...)
OH MY! This is saved for a plurge this summer! Can't wait! Thanks Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lobster for Labs by Gourmet_Mom (OH MY! This is save...)
"Bacon Wrapped Lobster and Scallop Kebabs" - sounds good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lobster for Labs by cjs ("Bacon Wrapped Lobst...)

"Bacon Wrapped Lobster and Scallop Kebabs" you all do know if I ever win the Power Ball I am eating this dish EVERY day until I am broke or die and go to heaven with a giant smile on my face...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)