OT-I think my commute is getting to me.
  Re: (...)
So I am cruising along with the cruise control set on County Road E-18 near the Boone and Greene County lines just south of home up in Webster County not too far from where Holly and I came across about three dozen Holstiens in the middle of the road at almost midnight one night last summer when what do I see...? An EMU walking along the side of the road. You can imagine the look on my face as I am cruising at about 75 MPH and this 7 foot plus tall bird that looks a lot like an OSTRICH is looking around and "pecking" for food along side a small flock of pheasants...I hit the breaks REAL quick and did a triple take and swore off drinking for life...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: OT-I think my commute is getting to me. by firechef (So I am cruising alo...)
I'll go you one better than that one...William was coming home from Southport one late afternoon when he came up behind a deputy sheriff with his lightson chasing (herding?) an Emu down the road through the green swamp. This is THE highway that takes most Eastern NC traffic to the SE NC and NE SC beaches. We laughed about that one for weeks! So, oddly enough, you're not loosing it, just one of those strange things that happens sometimes and gives you something to talk about.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: OT-I think my commute is getting to me. by firechef (So I am cruising alo...)
"Alligator lizards in the air..." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT-I think my commute is getting to me. by labradors ("Alligator lizards i...)
you know how troublesome those deer can be in Iowa - last year when I was
visiting my mom - I was out late visiting a classmate - and took the back
roads home - and all of a sudden I saw all these eyes in my headlights
seems as if the Road was warm - and the air was cool - and there sat
about 30 deer ! I must say that shook me up a bit. not enough to give up
the wine - but was a site to see.

got to watch those deer!

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: OT-I think my commute is getting to me. by mjkcooking (you know how trouble...)
Quote:

got to watch those deer!

When we used to live in NJ, my dad had an MG Midget (a VERY small, two-seat car). One night, he was really late getting home because, on a stretch of road through the Pine Barrens, his car had GONE UNDER a deer. That should give you some idea of the size of the deer in NJ, and the size of an MG Midget, as well.
  Re: Re: OT-I think my commute is getting to me. by Gourmet_Mom (I'll go you one bett...)
Now I'm hoping to see an emu when I'm down your way in a few weeks, Daphne. Don't think I've ever seen one. My grandbabies would be thrilled.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT-I think my commute is getting to me. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I had a similar experience when I was doing my internship in Warren Co., PA. Out one night taking a drive through the Allegheny Forest in a teeny car (might have been a MG) with the top down, when all of a sudden this deer leaps from one bank to the other OVER our heads. Scared the pooh out of me! Nothing like looking up to see the underbelly!
  Re: Re: OT-I think my commute is getting to me. by iBcookin (I had a similar expe...)
Quote:

... all of a sudden this deer leaps from one bank to the other OVER our heads.

That must have been amazing to see.

In my dad's case, the deer was standing in the middle of the road. When I said the car went under the deer, I meant it did so as it would go under a bridge. On the car, afterwards, there was one hoofmark that knocked out the driver's-side headlight, and another hoofmark that made a dent in the back of the car, almost knocking out the passenger-side tail light. In other words: LOW BRIDGE!