Pannini (sort of)
  Re: (...)
Tammy got me interested in a portobello pannini recipe from a long past issue (27) of C@H. So, I've got all the ingredients but I don't have a pannini grill thingy. I was wondering if I could use my waffle iron. Or do you have any other suggestions?? Will it really make so much diff?? tia
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Pannini (sort of) by farnfam (Tammy got me interes...)
On the waffle iron I have, the cooking surfaces are reversible, giving a plain grill on the other side. Is yours like that (but maybe just forgotten)? If so, that would be pretty good for a panino. Of course, a George Foreman grill would do the job, too.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Pannini (sort of) by farnfam (Tammy got me interes...)
I've never made a pannini, but I have heard of people using waffle irons, sandwich makers, and (better yet, in my opinion) a heavy skillet, bricks, or other heavy object to press the sammie...just put a piece of foil between your weight and your good to go. At least, that's what I've heard.

The reason I think the weighted idea would work best is the even pressure on your sandwich. The others would put more pressure on the back side...if that makes sense.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pannini (sort of) by Gourmet_Mom (I've never made a pa...)
Quote:

The others would put more pressure on the back side...if that makes sense.

It depends upon how thick the panino is. On my unit, for example, the back hinge is a slip hinge, allowing it to open relatively evenly, from front to back, unless the sandwich is too thick.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pannini (sort of) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I have a "pannini maker" and I more times than not just use one of my cast iron skillets on top. As Daphne says, just put a sheet of foil over the sandwich and top with the skillet. works great.

What did you end up using?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pannini (sort of) by cjs (I have a "pannini ma...)
It's for tonite's supper and the bread is going to be slices of 18hr which I threw together last nite. Had a tiny procedure done yesterday afternoon and the bread and the pannini question were the last two things I did before the painkillers kicked in for the nite lol. I'm hoping my waffle iron reverses, otherwise I have plenty of cast iron skillets to use. Thanks, will let you know how it goes!!
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pannini (sort of) by farnfam (It's for tonite's su...)
Oh, those panini were soooo good! I hope you love them as much as we did.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Pannini (sort of) by TwilightKitten (Oh, those panini wer...)
Well, the 18hr bread stands ready, but a kind friend brought over chicken soup and muffins for us tonite, as I'm a bit under the weather. Paninni tomorrow for sure!!
Cis
Empress for Life
ps Welcome back Tammy, how good to see you little kitty here again!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pannini (sort of) by farnfam (Well, the 18hr bread...)
Thanks, Cis
Tammy
  Re: Re: Pannini (sort of) by TwilightKitten (Thanks, Cis [img]/...)
Hi Tammy, good to see you again! I missed your little kitty too!

Cis, be sure to let us know what ingredients you used. Love portabellas, and of course 18 hour bread is just perfect for a pannini. Hmmm, think I'll go start some bread right now! Feel better, and take care.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."