Pickled Eggs
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a favorite (tried and true only, please) pickled egg recipe?

I have this one that I haven't made for a hundred years, but I remember we used to love them....

* Exported from MasterCook *

PICKLED EGGS

1 cup tarragon vinegar
1 cup water
2 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
12 hard-cooked eggs, shelled

In pan, combine first 7 items.
Bring to boiling; simmer 30 min. Cool.
Pour over eggs in crock, jar or bowl.
Cover; refrigerate 2-3 days.

Description:
"Serve whole or halved as an appetizer or relish. Also good to just have a jar of them in the frig for nibbling."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This one is really good, but I'd love to see some other ideas. thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pickled Eggs by cjs (Does anyone have a f...)
Nah, pickled eggs gives me the winds
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pickled Eggs by cjs (Does anyone have a f...)
I really liked this one (Fincher's):

Pennsltucky Mustard Pickled Eggs
(in honor of an old schoolmate and goodgiver both from Pennsylvania)
eggs 12 hard-cooked
4 cloves garlic halved
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2tsps -1 tablespoon salt (to suit taste)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup white vinegar
½ cup water
1 medium onion thinly sliced
? tsp mustard seed
just follow the same directions from my first recipe using these ingredients. except do this: for the mustard powder just add enough vinegar to make a paste, then add alittle more until the paste becomes really loose, then add every thing else.
If you want really strong mustard flavor you can just add more mustard powder, if you use enough you can just take out the tumeric. its really there only to give the eggs a nice pretty yellow sheen but I say leave it in, the party won't be the same without it

He didn't say how much mustard seed to use, so I used 1 Tbsp.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pickled Eggs by Lorraine (I really liked this ...)
Yeah, Billy - that's why I'm adding them to the menu - a bunch of farty old men out on a houseboat....

hmmm, I may just add tumeric to mine, since they are very similar. thanks Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Eggs by cjs (Yeah, Billy - that's...)
No special recipe, but we used to put hard boiled eggs (shelled first) into the jar after we ate the pickled beets. It was very yummy as I remember and they turned a lovely color too. Hmmm, I haven't done pickled cinnamon beets in forever. Maybe I'll do just a few jars this summer.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pickled Eggs by farnfam (No special recipe, b...)
"pickled beets. "

I forgot about them. Really easy, and really great!
  Re: Re: Pickled Eggs by Lorraine ("pickled beets. "[b...)
I LOVE pickled beets. I used to have a recipe around for "Pickled Mexican Vegetables" but can't find it...

Ah Lorraine...Fincher is dang near an idle to me. His boss at Sam Jakes too...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pickled Eggs by firechef (I LOVE pickled beets...)
That was the first thing that came to my mind - where's the beets??? I always added sliced onions to mine. Hubby loves pickled eggs.

Anybody ever make "Polish Caviar," or is that a nw PA thing? Ring bologna cut into pieces with big slices of onion, a few black peppercorns and vinegar. They make this in gallon jars around here and leave it sitting on the bars.
  Re: Re: Pickled Eggs by iBcookin (That was the first t...)
"Polish Caviar," YES, I had that years ago - forgot all about it.

I've done the eggs with beets a long time ago also, they were my favorite. pretty also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Eggs by cjs ("Polish Caviar," YES...)
"Ring bologna cut into pieces with big slices of onion, a few black peppercorns and vinegar "

We did it with hot dogs in Quebec.