Dinner Review for May 26th!! (Finally!)
  Re: (...)
Today is the 26th, finally isn't it?????

ANOTHER 10! Boy did we love this one.

[Image: AsianRibs.jpg]

Happy B’day to me, Happy B’day to me, Happy B’day to me, PJ, and Maryann!!

We have another 10!! The Cucumbers, I could have nibbled on all day – great marinade!

And the ribs, the minute I smelled the rub, I started getting anxious for dinner and feeling sorry I had only made one small rack of ribs. We didn’t have any leftovers, darn it.

I took over a little dish of the cucumbers and the sauce to brush on the ribs to the neighbors to taste. She ended up combining the juice from the cucumbers and the sauce (a little of each) and tossed it with her chunked up veggies she was going to grill later! I bet that would be good also!

What a great summer dinner. And to think we’ve had access to this recipe since August 2002!!!!

----

I wrote the above the a.m. after making these and since then I've used the extra marinade on veggies also and then tossed with some leftover rice - what a great side dish!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Review for May 26th!! (Finally!) by cjs (Today is the 26th, f...)
5/22/08 This was an excellent dish. I think I may reduce the cinnamon slightly next time, though. I thought it was a little bit strong. (I'll also grind it fresh...not sure how fresh my cinnamon was.) Other than that, we really liked this as a change from ordinary BBQ ribs.

One thing I did differently this time and will repeat when I make this during warmer months is to do all the cooking on the grill. My grill is rigged to cook with indirect heat, so I propped the lid slightly and reduced the heat to about 275-300. It worked great.

I did not do the cucumber salad this time, forgot the cucumber. I served this with grilled corn on the cob with lime butter and a simple side salad. I'd give this a 9+, but with a little adjustment with the cinnamon, I think it will send it over the top!

Sorry, no picture. I was running late on a school night and was starving!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for May 26th!! (Finally!) by Gourmet_Mom (5/22/08 This was an...)
Asian Lime Ribs Review

This recipe is a very easy method for making nice and tender ribs. The instructions called for putting the rub on and refrigerating the ribs for an hour, but as it happened, I put the rub on in the evening the night before, and wrapped the ribs up tight in foil. I’m not sure if it matters, but they did turn out very well.

The sauce is very fast to put together and I made that in the morning to let the flavors meld together all day. The instructions don’t say to cook, but because of the raw ginger, I thought it might be a good idea to simmer on the stove for a while. I let it cool, then put it in the frig to use later on in the day. Very tasty.

It was very easy to finish off the ribs on the grill. Ron did the double glaze on both sides and grilled for probably another 15-20 minutes. I was a little concerned that he might not be real happy with the Asian lime sauce because it is not as sweet as his usual barbecue sauce, (Sweet Baby Ray’s) but we both agreed it is very tasty and we will definitely make this recipe again.

Overall, I gave this menu 9+ and Mr. Picky actually gave it a 10! Sorry, I didn't remember to take pictures.

Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for May 26th!! (Finally!) by Mare749 (Asian Lime Ribs Revi...)
I made this dinner Saturday Night. I made the whole recipe and shared half with my inlaws. Took them over the sauce the pre-cooked ribs and the cucumbers. They finished them on thier grill.

First Note: I have been using this method for the ribs since the magazine had come out - but I had never made the asian lime version. I used memphis rub and then finish on the grill with Mustard BBQ sauce. We love them and I will always use this method. I have not had a bad rib since.

We really liked this recipe. Really different flavors from our traditional ribs. I did not use as much heat in the initial batch of the sauce because of my inlaws, but doctored up our remaining batch. I served it with the cucumbers (which were great) some sliced cherry tomatoes and grilled corn. It was a wonderful meal.

My inlaws also loved the meal and said the ribs and the cucumbers were great. They thought the amount of spice was perfect. My father inlaw asked about the method and said how tender they were. He said he ususally just tried to grill them straight on the grill and they always come out tough.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for May 26th!! (Finally!) by esgunn (I made this dinner S...)
Maryann, I don't see how the ribs could do anything other than get better with the rub the night before! I didn't heat the sauce and didn't find a sharp taste from the ginger.

those darn cucumbers - I could nibble on them all day.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
On a scale of 1 to 10 this got at least a 15. It's funny I've been making that cucumber salad since 2002 - and just never did the ribs. What a waste of 6 years! (No - we were busy with all of Jean's other rib recipes )

We did change up the method a bit - I had the oven full of popcorn garlic hot dog and hamburger buns. We can do the indirect heat too - so Bob turned on the outside burners, put the ribs in the middle, and we set a foil pan of water over the burner on one side. After 2 hours at 220 they were nearly perfect. He turned on the middle burner and glazed them. They were perfect, moist, tender, and tasty with a capital T.

I passed on the cucumber salad. It has become such a family favorite - decided to switch it up a bit and served a peach and frisse salad from Susanna Foo's cookbook. We also had some coconut rice.

Dinner was perfect! Yum Yum. The cooking method for the ribs worked really well - and will be used this summer when it's too hot to heat the kitchen.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for May 26th!! (Finally!) by Harborwitch (On a scale of 1 to 1...)
I agree, Sharon. Low and slow on the grill gave me perfectly tender ribs also! I've usually done it this way, so I was sure not to be disappointed.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Happy Birthday Dinner, Jean!

I did these a few weeks ago, and I thought they were great! Loved the cuke salad with them, and will definately repeat this on July 4 for the crowd. I only had a little rack to work with, I couldn't find many good spareribs close by, so next time I'll take the 20 min to go to Exeter to the butchers. I parcooked them, cause I always do, I don't trust my gas grill, and I haven't pulled the Weber out of the barn yet. I didn't peel the silverskin, either, I usually don't bother unless there is a lot of it.

Yup, a 10 for sure, and better yet, one that will be repeated soon! Very good suggestion.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dinner Review for May 26th!! (Finally!) by Mare749 (Asian Lime Ribs Revi...)
Quote:

The instructions called for putting the rub on and refrigerating the ribs for an hour, but as it happened, I put the rub on in the evening the night before, and wrapped the ribs up tight in foil. I’m not sure if it matters, but they did turn out very well.

Unless a recipe says "no more than" a certain amount of time (or, an extended period of time, as with the three days for sauerbraten), I always leave the meat in rubs or marinades overnight.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?