Frisee & Peach salad
  Re: (...)
This was the salad we served with last night's dinner. Amazing combination of flavors.

Frisee and Peach Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
From "Fresh Inspiration" by Susanna Foo

1 small head of frisee
1 small fennel bulb
1 medium peach, preferably white, peeled
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1/4 cup Honey mustard vinaigrette.

Pull off and discard tough outer green leaves of the frisee. Using kitchen shears trim away any tough green tips. Cut off and discard the root end, separating the individual leaves. Plunge into ice water to crisp, spin dry wrap in paper towels and refrigerate until ready to use.

Trim off the root end of the fennel bulb, cut off the stalks, and discard any tough outer layers. Slice or shave the fennel into paper thin slices. Soak in a bowl of ice water for about 10 minutes. Drain and spin dry, place in a bowl and cover with a wet towel - refrigerate until ready to use.

Halve and pit the peach. Slice into 1/8" thick slices. Put into a bowl of ice water to prevent discoloring.

Honey Mustard vinaigrette

1 tbs. olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 TBS minced peeled fresh ginger
1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 TBS cold water
1 TBS soy sauce
1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 TBS honey
1/2 tsp. salt
! TBS grainy mustard
2 TBS XVOO

Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook stirring until soft, about 30 seconds. Add the stock or water and the cornstarch mixture and mix well and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, honey, and salt. and return to a boil. Then remove from the heat and cool.

Place the stock mixture, mustard, and XVOO into a blender or food processor and process until creamy. Pour into a glass jar. Dressing will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

Place frisee, fennel, and peaches in a large bowl. Add cilantro and dressing - toss well.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Frisee & Peach salad by Harborwitch (This was the salad w...)
Man, that sounds so good! copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Frisee & Peach salad by cjs (Man, that sounds so ...)
That does sound good. I have never seen frisee around here, so may have to sub. I may have to wait for the white peaches to come in though.

I never tried fennel, but I'm wanting to. There's a fennel butter that goes with a whole stuffed salmon in the new book that looks great. I love trying new flavors these days...well with one exception...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Frisee & Peach salad by Gourmet_Mom (That does sound good...)
Daphne, when you're ready to try some more fennel recipes I have a few that we just love.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Frisee & Peach salad by Gourmet_Mom (That does sound good...)
Frisee is hard to find - Whole Foods used to carry it, but we haven't seen it there lately. But Trader Joe's has it neatly bagged in their salad veggie section. I absolutely love it.

I love fennel too. In this salad the flavor contrasts were amazing.
  Re: Re: Frisee & Peach salad by Harborwitch (Frisee is hard to fi...)
What exactly is Frisee? Like a green salad type thing?
Sorry to be so dumb but I have absolutely never ever heard of it. Guess I could Google, but I'd drathter ask you guys, more inter active y'know teehee
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Frisee & Peach salad by farnfam (What exactly is Fris...)
It is a member of the endive family - very tender, pale and frilly. It looks like a miniature pale green curly endvie, but the flavor is more delicate.