Vacation meals for a crowd
  Re: (...)
As I mentioned in another post, we will be going on vacation June 7 with our daughters, husbands, grandbabies, and my inlaws. There will be 11 in all. We try to keep meals quick and easy, so no one has to spend a lot of time cooking. And we do go out for dinner a few times, although that gets old pretty quick when you have to wait in lines to eat.

So, the last time we did this, we did a big shop at Sam's Club the first night we got there, and picked up a couple of rotisseried chickens, a spiral ham for sandwiches, then assorted salads, breads, and regular groceries, so that we could have most of our breakfasts and lunches at the condo.

I could use a few ideas for things that I could put into the crockpot, so that everyone could eat whenever they felt like it. I thought of sloppy joes, and/or bbq pork for sandwiches, then got stuck. Suggestions please?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Vacation meals for a crowd by Mare749 (As I mentioned in an...)
A good navy bean soup with ham.

Chili
Turkey Tetrazzini
Scallop Potatoes

Artichoke, Chicken and Olives
1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves and/or thighs
2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 or 9 oz) pkg frozen artichokes
1 c chicken broth
1 med onion, chopped
1/2 c sliced pitted ripe olives (or 1/4 cup capers, drained)
1/4 c dry white wine or chicken broth
3 tbsp quick cooking tapioca
2-3 tsp curry powder
3/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 c hot cooked couscous

Directions:
Rinse chicken & set aside. In a 3 1/2 qt crock pot combine mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, frozen artichoke hearts, chicken broth, onion, olives, & wine/broth. Stir in tapioca, curry powder, thyme, salt, & pepper. Add chicken. Spoon some of the tomato mixture over chicken. Cover & cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Serve with hot cooked couscous.

Corned Beef

Here's a brunch casserole recipe -

Serving Size : 7
1 1/2 lb Ground beef
1 ea Onion -- large; finely chopped
2 tb Olive oil or butter
2 ea Garlic -- cloves; minced
1 can Mushrooms -- sliced; drained; 4 oz
2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Nutmeg
1/2 ts Oregano -- leaf
1/2 pk Spinach -- chopped; frozen (thawed and drained)
3 tb Flour
6 ea Eggs -- beaten
1/4 c Milk -- scalded
1/2 c Cheddar cheese -- sharp; grated

Directions:
In skillet, lightly brown ground beef and onion in olive oil; drain well. Place in well-greased crock-pot. Stir in remaining ingredients except eggs, milk and cheese until well blended. Beat eggs and milk together. Pour over other ingredients; stir well. Dust with additional nutmeg. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7 to 10 hours or until firm. Just before serving, sprinkle with grated cheese. 6 to 8 servings (About 2-1/2 quarts)
  Re: Re: Vacation meals for a crowd by DFen911 (A good navy bean sou...)
Easy! Low Country Boil!

Layer-for six (double this for two pots for 12):
one chicken (cut into quarters (any decent butcher will do it for you), 2 whole sweet onions(skins removed, but root intact), 8 large sized new (red) potatoes, 6 ears of corn, 1 pound keilbasa (or favorite smoked sausage)..cut into links and 6 dozen clams (and if you're feeling fancy...6 crab clusters or 6 small lobster tail.) Sprinkle with Old Bay. Top with cabbage leaves (to seal) and add an egg.

Simmer for about an hour...when the egg is hard boiled, the dinner is done. (My MIL did the same with a potato.)

Scoop the above onto newspaper (or similar covered) picnic table and eat.

Serve with cocktail sauce, "juice", and melted butter.

If you must...serve with southern corn bread or crackers. (Save the "juice" for seafood chowder) This sounds like a lot, but you only stack it and leave it for about an hour before done!

Last month had a similar recipe with better instrucions...just sub cheaper seafood and more of it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Vacation meals for a crowd by Gourmet_Mom (Easy! Low Country B...)
Here are a couple we like to do in the trailer - in the same vein. Also, take the Share a Recipe cookbook with you, there are so many easy, mindless recipes in it that would be great for this kind of a retreat! I'm envying you right this minute, Maryann!! What fun to get the family together like that.

SLOW-COOKED CHICKEN AND BURRITOS

4 frozen burritos, beef or bean & cheese
2-4 boneless chicken breasts
14 1/2 can Enchilada sauce
Cheddar cheese
TO TOP:
shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, onions and sour cream, and a little more grated cheddar cheese

On the bottom of a slow cooker, place the frozen burritos.
Lay the chicken breasts on top and cover all with the enchilada sauce.
Cook on low 5-8 hours - it's very forgiving - the last few minutes sprinkle some grated cheese over.

When ready to serve, shred the chicken and serve with the above toppers.

Description:
"This recipe is so off the wall, I just had to try it - and if frozen burritos are one of your favorite junk foods (it's mine!), you'll love this!!"

----

CHILI CON QUESO

1 can chili, no beans
1 lb American cheese, Velveeta (the mild Mexican style)
4 oz. can canned green chiles, diced
2 tomatoes, Roma, chopped
3 scallions, chopped end to end
4 Tbsps red onion, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot or pan on the stove over low heat.
If cooking on the stove, stir often and beware of burning.
If cooking in crockpot, cook onlow 6-8 hours.

Serve in the crock pot at a low setting with a bowl of blue corn tortillas or Fritos "Scoops".

---

and this one - cook it up and do whatever with it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder

2 large onions -- halved, sliced
1 boneless pork shoulder roast
Salt and pepper
1 jar apple jelly -- (12 ounces)
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
2 tablespoons grainy mustard

Arrange onion slices in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Wash the roast and pat dry; leave it in its netting and place on the onions. Combine remaining ingredients in a cup; pour over the roast. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.

Turn to LOW and cook for 6 to 8 hours longer.

Serves 6 to 8.

NOTES : It's hard to beat a pork shoulder for flavor and tenderness, and it's one of my family's favorite pork cuts. This dish is made with a boneless pork shoulder, slow cooked to perfection with a tangy mixture of apple jelly and coarsely ground mustard.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
How about meatballs in the slow cooker? Buy the frozen ones, and all you have to do is add a sauce.

Will it not be really hot there that time of year? If so, I find a big container of Gazpacho goes over well. Or, the Apple/Cheddar/Sausage bread pudding. A Mufaletta is great, and is even better the next day. Instead of making the olive salad, I've had some great olive tapenade out of a jar. If there is a bbq, individual pizzas (using store bought dough) are easy and fun. Leftovers are great for breakfast. Pasta salad. Marinate cut tomatoes (cherry ones cut in half are good) in olive oil, s&P, fresh basil,and cubed mozzarella. Add the hot pasta to the mixture and toss. Keeps well, I bring it for lunches. Sounds like a fun time!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Vacation meals for a crowd by Lorraine (How about meatballs ...)
Wow, you guys are just the best! Thank you so much! You know, this came up so fast I couldn't even think straight to make menu plans. You have all made it so easy. What great recipes and ideas.

Jean, I will definately take my copy of Share a Recipe with me. What a super idea! All those recipes can be adjusted for a crowd and most are quick to put together.
I hope everyone on this forum has gotten a copy by now, it's just wonderful. Oh, and I can't forget my copy of LCBO for fun summer drink recipes!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Vacation meals for a crowd by Mare749 (Wow, you guys are ju...)
This has been a crowd pleaser every time I have made it, with many requests for the recipe (which had originally been from Le Cirque 2000 restaurant and printed in Food & Wine).

SUMMER PASTA

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
  • 8 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Crushed red pepper [I like to use cayenne, instead]
  • 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti or penne rigate
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. In a bowl, toss the mozzarella with the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, and kosher salt. Season generously with black pepper and crushed red pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes.
  2. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain, return the pasta to the pot, add the sauce, and toss well.
  3. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Servings: 8
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Vacation meals for a crowd by labradors (This has been a crow...)
Yummm!!! Thank you Labs!
Maryann

Re: Re: Vacation meals for a crowd by labradors (This has been a crow...)
Labs, I have a recipe just about the same, except it also calls for sweet italian sausage, cooked and cut into 1 inch pieces. Maryann, It is a good one and the kids LOVE IT.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
You can also just take chicken breasts layer in the crock pot, throw some salsa on top, some seasonings and cook. Great served on a sald, in taco shells, over rice with shredded cheese and sour cream.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.