French onion dip?
  Re: (...)
Any of you have any tried & true favourite recipes for a French onion dip?

If possible, I would like one that does NOT rely upon packaged, dry onion soup mixes, but uses real, fresh onions, instead. Still, a comparison could be interesting, so (if you have any) please post one of each: your all-time best that does not use dry mixes, and your all-time best that does use dry mixes, as well as you opinion of the differences between the two.

Pre-made dips are available here, but the imported, American ones (Herr's and Frito-Lay) are relatively expensive ($2.50 - $3.25 for eight-ounce packages), and the more local ones aren't very good. Besides, with all the great onions here, why not go for something made from scratch?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: French onion dip? by labradors (Any of you have any ...)
hmmm, interesting question - I'm off to my library and see what I've done long, long ago when French Onion dip was all the rage...

O.K., I know you want tried and true, but this is really interesting me - I love onion dip, but don't want all that salt that's in the onion soup mix.

Here's a recipe from the potato board that I'm going to have to play with and see what happens - maybe it will sound good to you also, labs.

French Onion Dip

1 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
8 ounces sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon butter

In medium skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat until melted; add onion. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat, stir in Worcestershire sauce. Cool completely.

In bowl, combine onion mixture, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and pepper; mix until blended.

Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve with French-fried potatoes or roasted potato wedges.

---

I'm trying to remember the flavors in the 'old' mix dip to see what can be added and all I'm coming up with is maybe some kind of beef base?? hmmmm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: French onion dip? by cjs (hmmm, interesting qu...)
I've mixed it with beef stock (again not broth so no salt) and poured it over say a rump roast and then put into the crockpot for 10-12 hours.

Mix a package into a pound of good hamburger and grill.

Mix a package with 1/3 a cup of oil and then take about 4 russets, cut into wedges. Put everything into a bag to coat and back at 425 for about for 30-40 min.

Enjoy
I don't have a tried an true recipe but I was looking for a homemade version and a homemade "Golden Mushroom Soup". I found them at www.recipezaar.com. They have a Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix you might like to try. I plan on trying them both the next time I make my crockpot roast beef.
Shirley
  Re: Re: French onion dip? by smschwag (I don't have a tried...)
Denise & Shirley: I'm mostly looking for the French onion dip used for potato chips. Also, don't need a copycat of Lipton, since the Crema Cebolla (cream of onion) mix we have here, from Maggi, is wonderful. Thus, when I do wish to use a dry mix, I do have an excellent one available.

Jean: That recipe sounds interesting. I've seen a couple, already, that have called for Worcestershire sauce, but that doesn't sounds as though it would be quite the same flavour as the Frito-Lay dip or other packaged French onion dips. It does sound worth a try, though.
Hi there...I'm a long time lurker, newbie poster...

My favorite onion dip is Ina Garten's Pan-Fried Onion Dip:

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise

Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
  Re: Re: French onion dip? by ozarklm (Hi there...I'm a lon...)
Welcome, Ozark!

Thanks for the recipe. That sounds really good. Since I'm trying to economise, and cream cheese, here, is about as expensive as the dip, I'll probably substitute the local crema for that AND the sour cream.

Thanks for emerging from your lurking shadows to share this.
  Re: Re: French onion dip? by ozarklm (Hi there...I'm a lon...)
Welcome, Ozarklm! That spunds good.

This is one I use as a basic recipe:

1 cup Mayo
1 cup chopped onion
! cup grated Parmesan cheese

Butter a baking dish. Place in pre-heated 350 oven for about 45 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.

I've done it with grilled onions. Peel and thickly slice vidallia onions (or whatever you have). Brush with olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Grill over medium heat until tender, and a bit charred. You may have to skewer them to keep them together. I add the grilled onions instead of the raw, and add some fresh chives. You can also add some roasted garlic, a dash of worchestershire whatever you want. I've done it with all gruyere, all cheddar, all parmesan, and my favourite is a combo of gruyere and parmesan. The mixture can also be used, unbaked, topped on bread and put until the broiler until brown and bubbly.

My all time favourite is still Lipton's dry package, mixed with sour cream and mayo. I'd probably eat it on cardboard.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: French onion dip? by Lorraine (Welcome, Ozarklm! T...)
Hey Ozark - how great that this request brought you out! Welcome. Your idea of Ina's sound wonderful for an onion dip. Now, we can really play.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: French onion dip? by cjs (Hey Ozark - how grea...)
Ok that's gonna be my onion dip from now on! I'm adding roasted garlic too

Thanks for sharing that and welcome to the boards!